How to work in lvm storage.

Kephin

Renowned Member
Apr 21, 2015
Little point to note up front: I come from Proxmox 3 and I'm used to all VM files just sitting some vz directory somewhere in var. These directories on PX5 are empty. (this is a default install)

So now i'm trying to move/migrate a VMWare machine to Proxmox, the part that involves converting the vwmare disk into something Promox can use is obvious enough, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to put the disk into the large storage cluster in Proxmox as that's an LVM storage group and can't just casually browse to it using a tool like WinSCP.
I must somehow directly upload it to te big storage because the disk image is bigger then the local directory storage of proxmox.

How do I best go about doing this?

Hi,
depends how big your vmware disks and your local storage is.

with more than twice free space in the lv data (thin provisioning - looks with "lvs") you can do somthing like this:

create transfer-LV (in this case 150GB and mount it on /mnt
Code:
lvcreate -V 150G --thin -n restore pve/data
mkfs.ext4 /dev/pve/restore
mount /dev/pve/restore /mnt
scp "vmdisk.thick" /mnt/
After that you can create an VM with an disk bigger or equal the size like the vmware-disk.

Then convert the vmware.disk with qemu-img (output directly to your vm-disk, like /dev/pve/vm-100-disk-1 ).

If your VM start after that, umount /mnt and remove /dev/pve/restore

Udo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!