how to transfer backup from one proxmox to another withought clustering

hnaseri

Jul 2, 2020
Hello,
I want to transfer a backup from one server to another. However I cant find the backup files and I dont know where to restore in the new server. Where is exactly local-lvm located in proxmox and how to find the backup file? and then in the new server where i can put it and then restore it from GUI?

I want to transfer a backup from one server to another.
Are they in a cluster or single node servers? I assume the latter.

Did you create backups? If so, you did have to store place them in a storage. Either the `local` one or one that you created.

The `local-lvm` storage is a thin provisioned LVM. The volumes in it are block devices which are exposed as disks to the VM. These are not normal files that you could just copy.

If you haven't created any backups yet, the easiest way would be to create a new storage on a NAS (NFS, Samba), then create backups of your VMs there and on the other server you import the backups.

Just as a hint for normal operations: don't share the same NFS/Samba share between Cluster or single nodes because they will not know of each other and happily overwrite data if the same VMID is used.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!