[SOLVED] How to show USB Storage like internal HDD?

xpenolog

Feb 3, 2022
Hello,i'm new on proxmox. I have been installed proxmox,and i set up "xpenology" and it works successful. Now i'm trying about,how can i mount usb storage like internal hdd for xpenology? I must show it like internal storage, because i cant use xpenology full function. Is there a method you can suggest? (Virtual Environment 7.1-7)

Last edited:
Reactions: TheRealMaN_
Hi,

You have a solution for. But your USB disk cannot be umounted of your Proxmox server after this kind of modification.

In WebUI, click on your PRX host. In the middle column, click on "disks".
Identify the name of your USB disk partition( /dev/sdXy)
If you have data on your disk, you need to know his storage type (xfs, ext4,ntfs, ...)

In the middle column again, click on "shell".
go to /mnt
Create a mountpoint for your USB disk (exemple /mnt/usb-storage)

Modify your /etc/fstab file. You need to add after all present line this:

/dev/sdXy /mnt/YOUR-MOUNTPOINT ext4(orwhatever you use) defaults 0 0

Save your file.
type the command: mount -a

Now in the first column of the WebUI, click on "datacenter".
2nd column: storage
click on "add", "repository"
Enter a name. Give the directory (in the example /mnt/YOUR-MOUNTPOINT) .
Save.
Now, you have a new datastore called by the name given just before. Go to the VM configuration, and add a new Virtual disk stored in the usb-datastore.

Best regards

Last edited:

Pifouney Pifouney thank you for your hard work. U saved a lot of cost of hardware me and who is living that problem. Im lover of the open source software.And helpful communities,people like you. Thank you again.​

Best regards and stay healthy:)

Reactions: ohenriquez

Pifouney Pifouney thank you for your hard work. U saved a lot of cost of hardware me and who is living that problem. Im lover of the open source software.And helpful communities,people like you. Thank you again.​

Best regards and stay healthy:)

You're welcome :)

/dev/sdXy /mnt/YOUR-MOUNTPOINT ext4(orwhatever you use) defaults 0 0
Good day
I am doing the same thing here, but for some reason, I get "-bash: /dev/sdb1: Permission denied" and sdb1 is the USB that I want to use. What do you there, or what should be do
1705130191164.png

Good day
I am doing the same thing here, but for some reason, I get "-bash: /dev/sdb1: Permission denied" and sdb1 is the USB that I want to use. What do you there, or what should be do
View attachment 61323
Hey,

You readen me too fast x'D
You need to do this thing in your /etc/fstab file ;)
Don t forguet the space between mountpoint and filesystem type ;)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!