[SOLVED] How to restore VM using thin ZVOLs

H25E

Nov 5, 2020
I have a PVE node with some CT & VM on ZFS. The second ones with thin provisioning on ZVOLs. Now I have installed PBS in another computer to learn how to backup my CT/VM. Everything works flawless.

The problem it's when I go into PVE GUI -> PBS storage -> Backups -> SomeVMwithBigVirtualDrive -> Restore, it complains about not having enough disk space.

Testing with someVMwithSmallVirtualDrive I have seen that when restoring a VM, PVE creates the new needed ZVOLs but with DEFAULT settings, instead of using the original ones. This implies that the new ZVOLs are going to be thick provisioning, which makes impossible to me restore them because I have some really big virtual disks thinned down with a low refreservation.

I have readed man qmrestore to see if command line gives more flexibility but haven't found anything.

So... how to thin restore backuped VMs that were working originally with thin ZVOLs?

Thanks for your time.

Enabling thin provisioning for your PVEs ZFS Storage is not an option?
That way restored VMs should be thin provisioned.

Wow, that was easy. I was unaware of that option on PVE storage. Didn't remember about it. I was thinning out my volumes reducing their refreservation property. Works properly now! Thanks!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!