How to restore LXC without loosing mount point image / data

Herkz

Mar 21, 2020
Hi,
I've been struggling to understand how to correctly restore a LXC with a mount point attached to it.
LXC Config:
  • mp0: media1:105/vm-105-disk-0.raw,mp=/jellyfin/data1,size=2000G
  • mp1: media2:105/vm-105-disk-0.raw,mp=/jellyfin/data2,size=2000G

On the host:
ls /mnt/pve/media1/images/105/ gives "vm-105-disk-0.raw"
ls /mnt/pve/media2/images/105/ gives "vm-105-disk-0.raw"

The data inside the disk is not critical, so I don't want them into my back up plan, therefore, backup is disabled on the mounpoints.
The problem is, I can backup the container without any error, but when I want to restore one the mount point image are deleted.
I found this post related to the issue: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/r...p-lost-all-my-data-on-non-backup-disk.103387/ But I don't understand the solution.

Another weird behavior is when I restore, it asks on which disk, I select "local-zfs". In my mind, it should only restore the LXC image to this location but it changes it for the mount point too. So I end up with 2 images in local-zfs and I can't remove them in local-zfs, neither in the "Ressources" tab of the container as they do not appear.

1644911091258.png
Images in local-zfs
1644911106235.png
Error when trying to remove them

So my question is, how to backup & restore properly a LXC ct with a non-backed-up mount point ?
Thanks to everyone.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!