How to recovery proxmox and rejoin clusters and ceph

Abe Wisnu

Jan 28, 2019
Indonesia
abe.web.id
hi, greetings, i am a proxmox 5.x user and i just built a proxmox cluster with 3 node servers. besides the cluster I also use ceph on proxmox for HA Failove, which aims to make server management easier, especially in terms of server maintenance. now the server is running smoothly with good performance, but there are some questions that I need to know immediately before it's too late and happen to me with some of the following questions.

1. What if one of the proxmox nodes is damaged (especially the main node or main server)? maybe in terms of hardware that really made me have to replace the new device and also reinstall proxmox?

2. What about my data stored in storange ceph? Will I lose data? even though I'm currently routinely backing up VMs to FreeNAS.

3. How do I reinstall proxmox and re-join the proxmox cluster & ceph?

If my colleagues here can help answer also give references to proxmox recovery, I am very concerned about the problem of proxmox recovery because I have to save good anticipation. thank you, greetings. :)

Hi,
What if one of the proxmox nodes is damaged (especially the main node or main server)?
Proxmox VE is a multi-master cluster concept, so there is no main node.

maybe in terms of hardware that really made me have to replace the new device and also reinstall proxmox?
move all guest to the working nodes, remove the non-existing node and add a new one(reinstalled).

What about my data stored in storange ceph? Will I lose data?
The data are distributed in ceph.
So it is hard to say what state it will be.

But one thing is for sure if you stay in the recommended setting you will not lose any data if you lose one node.
3. How do I reinstall proxmox and re-join the proxmox cluster & ceph?
The same way you build the cluster.

Hi,

Proxmox VE is a multi-master cluster concept, so there is no main node.

move all guest to the working nodes, remove the non-existing node and add a new one(reinstalled).

The data are distributed in ceph.
So it is hard to say what state it will be.

But one thing is for sure if you stay in the recommended setting you will not lose any data if you lose one node.

The same way you build the cluster.

Thank you for the answer. I really appreciate the solution that you gave me. maybe now the picture of the problem is still like wish before I do a trial by completing it as you explained.

thank you,

regards

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!