How to NFS/SMB share already populated ZFS array the right way

cbc02009

May 3, 2020
Hello,
I'm transitioning my server over from unraid to proxmox, because I'm using it for far more virtualization than I thought I would, but I need help figuring out how to make it work with my existing setup.

I have a ZFS array of 5x 8tb drives in raidZ1 from my unraid server that's already populated with data, and I would like to serve some of the filesystems on the array to VMs via NFS, and to my Windows computers via samba. Because the drives are already populated with data, from what I can tell, I have two options: either install samba on the proxmox host, or create an lxc and bind mount folders into the lxc which would then do the sharing.

I get that since proxmox is a hypervisor, the correct way to do this is the second way. Is there a guide available on how to set this up? I can't seem to find anything.

Also, is there a utility (similar to unraid's or openmediavault's) I can run on the lxc that would provide a webgui for adding new shares and controlling access to shares? I could do it manually, but I'd prefer not to. I'm most comfortable with ubuntu/debian if that helps. I was hopeful that openmediavault could run in an lxc, but it does not.
Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Reactions: norsemangrey
Have a look at the Turn Key Linux File Server LXC template (which can be loaded from the proxmox UI). You could bind mount your storage to it, then on share via Samba via its UI.

https://www.turnkeylinux.org/fileserver

I know, old post, but I am looking to do the same thing and I am not familiar with NFS/SMB and just learning ZFS and Proxmox so I have a couple of noob questions:

1. When you say "bind mount the storage to it" do you mean the whole zpool or just individual datasets that you would want to share through the LXC?
  2. How do I mount the shared datasets in other VMs / LXCs?
  3. Are there any considerations with regards to permissions/conflicts. Lets say a dataset is bind mounted directly to another LXC whilst also shared via the SMB Turn Key LXC. Could there be write conflicts?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!