How to migrate a virtual machine image into local-lvm.

Debjit Biswas

Aug 14, 2016
Q: How to migrate a raw image and a virtual box machine to a proxmox Enviornment ?
A:- Not yet found.

Well i googled and usued search tab but not enought info for a newbee using proxmox and linux.

I am using linux for a week for my development purpose and i want to migrate a raw image and a virtual box image to proxmox.
I have tried and copied the image file to "/var/lib/vz/images/" and found there was no image and vm folder.
So i made one and replace the file from iso to raw(its a raw image).

then i looked at it and found all my images are at local-lvm partition but could not have access to it. Please help me to mount a kvm machine to it. I could not install it from an iso.

here is my partition for entire machine.

vm   Proxmox Virtual Environment.png

Installed packages
proxmox-ve: 4.2-48 (running kernel: 4.4.6-1-pve) pve-manager: 4.2-2 (running version: 4.2-2/725d76f0) pve-kernel-4.4.6-1-pve: 4.4.6-48 lvm2: 2.02.116-pve2 corosync-pve: 2.3.5-2 libqb0: 1.0-1 pve-cluster: 4.0-39 qemu-server: 4.0-72 pve-firmware: 1.1-8 libpve-common-perl: 4.0-59 libpve-access-control: 4.0-16 libpve-storage-perl: 4.0-50 pve-libspice-server1: 0.12.5-2 vncterm: 1.2-1 pve-qemu-kvm: 2.5-14 pve-container: 1.0-62 pve-firewall: 2.0-25 pve-ha-manager: 1.0-28 ksm-control-daemon: 1.2-1 glusterfs-client: 3.5.2-2+deb8u1 lxc-pve: 1.1.5-7 lxcfs: 2.0.0-pve2 cgmanager: 0.39-pve1 criu: 1.6.0-1 zfsutils: 0.6.5-pve9~jessie

Can anyone have this problem ?
Atleast share how to replace the hdd image file in "local-lvm" file.
Please help.

Hello, I was running through your same problem
I solved it this way

1- use scp or sftp to copy your vm.img into proxmox, let's say to "/tmp/foo/vm.raw"
2- Create a VM on your proxmox with an extra 1G of space:
- on the "CD/DVD" tab, choose "do not use any media"
- on the "Hard disk" tab, choose the Format according to your needs, in my case I chose "Raw disk image
this will create a VM with an ID & puts its "img" file in "/var/lib/vz/images/ID/"

make sure your machine is shutdown before you procede

3- all you have to do now is to rename the file in "/var/lib/vz/images/ID/" which supposed to be "vm-$ID-disk1.raw" to any other name
mv /var/lib/vz/images/$ID/vm-$ID-disk1.raw /var/lib/vz/images/$ID/old_vm.raw
or you can just delete it
rm /var/lib/vz/images/$ID/vm-$ID-disk1.raw

4- move your file in "/tmp/foo/vm.raw" to the correct location
mv /tmp/foo/vm.raw /var/lib/vz/images/$ID/vm-$ID-disk1.raw
this will "cut & paste & rename" the file

5- start your machine from the GUI

Reactions: Redtoast
by default, we now use an lvm thin pool for vm disk storage. (for details see http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/LVM2)
if you change the storage local to accept the "images" content (in datacenter -> storage -> local)
you can do the following:

create a vm with a disk in storage local (not local-lvm)
if you want to import a raw file then also choose raw as format

replace the raw file in /var/lib/vz/images/<VMID>/
if you want to have the disk in the local-lvm storage
go into the gui and press "move disk" and select local-lvm as target

But when I am trying the only thing in storage is the local-LVM.
Please share how to "change the storage local to accept the "images" content".
Will be very helpfull.

i already wrote where you can do this:
datacenter -> storage -> local

Nice!
I added images to the part dir: and now it is working :)
now it looks like this:

nano /etc/pve/storage.cfg

dir: local
path /var/lib/vz
content iso,vztmpl,backup, images

lvmthin: local-lvm
thinpool data
vgname pve
content rootdir,images

in the old proxmox "dir:" was not in the config at all

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!