How to give my VMs internet access? I am using proxmox over debian

Ryn0

Jan 24, 2022
I am using proxmox over debian so its kinda hard to find help related to that
Your help will be appreciated
currently my network config is as in the image: https://prnt.sc/26p8udr

If your "/etc/network/interfaces" looks like this and you do a reboot or run systemctl restart networking it should work:
Code:
source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto enp3s0
iface enp3s0 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
        address 192.168.0.202/24
        gateway 192.168.0.1
        bridge-ports enp3s0
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0

Last edited:
If your "/etc/network/interfaces" looks like this and you do a reboot or run systemctl restart networking it should work:
Code:
source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto enp3s0
iface enp3s0 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
        address 192.168.0.202/24
        gateway 192.168.0.1
        bridge-ports enp3s0
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0
idk but still my kali linux vm cant access the internet

Then you should check the guests config if it is right. With the above it should work if there are no driver issues.

Then you should check the guests config if it is right. With the above it should work if there are no driver issues.
i think i got good driver as i once booted windows and ethernet worked fine
Can you pls guide me how to check the guest configs

Check that you give that VM a free IP in your 192.168.0.0/24 subnet, make sure your router is set as the gateway and that the DNS server makes sense. Verify that the virtual NIC of that VM is attached to your vmbr0 and no VLAN tag is set. And you best should choose "virtio" instead of the default "E1000" for your virtual NIC for best performance.

Last edited:
Check that you give that VM a free IP in your 192.168.0.0/24 subnet, make sure your router is set as the gateway and that the DNS server makes sense. Verify that the virtual NIC of that VM is attached to your vmbr0 and no VLAN tag is set. And you best should choose "virtio" instead of the default "E1000" for your virtual NIC for best performance.
i am getting a ip address in kali when ip a : https://prnt.sc/26pb5rb
but cant access internet
My Dlink setup in lan :1644092187726.png

You gave your Kali a IP in the 192.168.10.0/24 subnet which is obviously not part of your routers 192.168.0.0/24 subnet so it can't communicate with your router or any other hosts like your PVE server.

Last edited:
You gave your Kali a IP in the 192.168.10.0/24 subnet which is obviously not part of your routers 192.168.0.0/24 subnet so it can't communicate with your router or any other hosts like your PVE server.
How to fix that? i have kept every file i know with 192.168.0.1 :confused:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!