How to configure a vm for internet access?

Nabsta333

Oct 15, 2020
Hello. I'm trying to get my vm (puppy linux) connected to the internet. I'm currently using my wireless network card on my laptop (host), however I've realised that I cant bridge it to the VLAN (I believe it has something to do with multiple MAC addresses using the device). So I've tried routing the wireless card instead using the instructions here.

This is what my hosts interface file looks like:

Code:
source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
        wpa-ssid SSID
        wpa-psk passwd
        post-up echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
        post-up echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/wlan0/proxy_arp

My bridge vmbr0 has no bridge port and no static IP address.

How can I configure my vms network to connect to the bridge appropriately? Do I need to set a static IP for the bridge? Can't the vm obtain an IP from the interface or bridge? I noticed that the interface gets picked up on the vm, but in a few seconds it disconnects because it couldn't connect to the DHCP server. Im a newb so any advice would be great.

In order to obtain an IP address you would need a DHCP server or you have to define static IP addresses.
There's no need for the bridge to have an address, sometimes it's even more secure to not have the node visible to that network.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!