How to add second NIC

Emtiaz

Jan 29, 2018
I am very new in proxmox. I have 2 lan cards in the server but can not configure the second one which is in a different subnet. Please help.

192.168.0.1/23 is my first lan block
192.168.230.232/29 is my second lan block. only traffic from 192.168.5.0 needs to go through this card. do i need to add static route for this in proxmox or in vm?

vmbr0 is configured for first lan block and it is working fine.
how do i enable vmbr1 for my second nic?

Hi All,

Im sorry, maybe this is clear and i just dont get it.
I am not sure if this is only for CT's or also for VM's.

I had a Centos 7 VM with a single NIC (vmbr01), then added via the Proxmox GUI the secondary NIC (vmbr1) and rebooted the VM.
The VM came back up only with its public NIC. NO other NIC was there.

I assumed then i had to re-install the VM, I am at the installation stage, and i can only select ONE NIC.
I dont see anywhere, how i can add another NIC to the VM.

Thanks,

Foster Banks

Attachments

• NIC.png
    NIC.png
    34.7 KB · Views: 859
*****UPDATE*****
Ok, so I think i got this working the way i wanted.

I have been able to add the second NIC to the VM, using the second bridge of the server. You can see in the attachment, that after it was added, there is one NIC using vmbr0 and another NIC using vmbr1.

IMPORTANT: Please note, in the Node itself, a static route must be added, so PRIVATE traffic goes OUT via the eth1 NIC. Since by default ONLY 1 Default GW can be configured, it is necessary to create a route-file named route-eth1 inside the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ directory.

nano /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/route-eth1

This file must contain the following information:
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
ADDRESS0=10.0.0.0
NETMASK0=255.0.0.0
GATEWAY0=10.100.100.1
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
This configuration assumes you want to access all the 10.0.0.0/8 network via eth1.

Now to the Guest.
The guest was rebooted and showed NO change whatsoever as far as NICs go. SO, this is what I did.

1. Issue the following command: dmesg | grep eth1 | more
This showed me there was INDEED another NIC, besides eth0 on this VM. See attachment.

2. I then did this:
2.1 cd /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/
2.2 cp ifcfg-eth0 ifcfg-eth1
2.3 nano ifcgfg-eth1. This was done in order to change the name of the NIC as well as the MAC address. From eth0 to eth1, as well as the MAC, to the new MAC.
The MAC adress i used was the one i got from running the dmesg command mentioned above.

I then added the network configuration to the NIC, and ran the ifup eth1 command and YES, the NIC came UP!

Now, this is a Centos VM, so again, static routes needs to be added to the VM itself, so it delivers the private traffic OUT via eth1.
We proceed to do the same thing we did for the node by creating the route-eth1 file, with the appropriate values.

We then restart the network service and YES, IT WORKS.

This is what we get: check final results screenshot.
As you can see, the routing table shows the GW/NIC being used for public and private traffic.

Best Regards,

Foster Banks

Attachments

• dmesg.png
    dmesg.png
    11.3 KB · Views: 621
  • NIC2.png
    NIC2.png
    107.9 KB · Views: 640
  • Final_Result.png
    Final_Result.png
    68.1 KB · Views: 572
Reactions: neogrid
*****UPDATE*****

The Network Configuration for the Hardware Node is not centos, I got confused because always working on Centos.
So, steps to configure private network in the Node:

1. Config file should look like this:
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface enp1s0f0 inet manual

allow-hotplug enp1s0f1

auto enp1s0f1
iface enp1s0f1 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address 185.128.43.26
netmask 255.255.255.252
gateway 185.128.43.25
bridge_ports enp1s0f0
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet static
address 10.10.2.226
netmask 255.255.255.252
bridge_ports enp1s0f1
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0
#Private Traffic

root@cloud:~#

Then, you need to configure routing for the private traffic to leave the server via the second NIC.
There are different ways to do this, I prefer to do it like this:

1. Create a file:
nano /etc/network/if-up.d/route

2. On this file, add the following lines:
#!/bin/sh
route add -net 10.0.0.0/8 gw 10.10.2.225 dev enp1s0f1
NOTE: Again, this assumes the 10.10.2.225 is my GW and enp1s0f1 is my Private NIC. Adjust as needed.

3. Setup the proper permissions for this file by issuing:
chmod +x /etc/network/if-up.d/route
This will make sure this gets executed.

4. Reboot the Node.

After reboot, you will see the changes

Regards,

Foster Banks

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!