High Memory PROXMOX Host

OXIB

Feb 19, 2018
Hi Everyone,
I am new to Proxmox and have been liking it so far.
The host I have is using a lot of memory. I don't have anything super big as most people out there, just a simple computer running an i7-4790K CPU with 32GB of RAM and 2TB of HD Space set in ZFS RAID.
I only have two windows VM running and the RAM is 75%. The VMs are not using all that RAM.
I installed Windows Server 2016 following the video here:
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/install-windows-2016-server-on-proxmox-ve-video-tutorial.31344/
Everything went smooth without any problems.

Here is a screeshot of what the high memory looks like:
upload_2018-2-18_23-59-51.png

Here is what the VM's are running:
upload_2018-2-19_0-2-3.png

Here is what the host shows:
upload_2018-2-19_0-2-57.png

If you can give an idea as to what might be causing this, I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks!

Thanks for you fast response dietmar. So this is normal and there is nothing that can be done?
Would I be able to still keep adding VM's? If I do, will the RAM just keep going up?
Is it better to change ZFS to another file system?
Thanks again,

Lower the arc size

Code:
nano /etc/modprobe.d/zfs.conf

I would give 4gigs max because im stingy lolz

Code:
# Min 2048MB / Max 4096 MB Limit with 32 gigs of ram
options zfs zfs_arc_min=2147483648
options zfs zfs_arc_max=4294967296

save and then update
Code:
update-initramfs -u

then reboot

Thanks killmasta93, i will update it with the new settings. I updated it with what the website recommends 8Gigs and it's running much better.
Thanks again.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!