Here's my homelab plan for a single Proxmox server. Is it possible to run Proxmox like that?

plantomobil

Mar 4, 2018
Bayern, Deutschland
lab.png
So here's the plan. I want to run a NFS server directly on the host to share data between VMs. The normal arrows represent read and write access, the dashed ones stand for read access only.

I want to keep the boot data and my important VMs on the SSD and move my templates, ISOs, test VMs and personal data to a zfs raid1. I can do backups to another NAS, but I need to run the
rest on only one server.

I would like to access the nfs shares from any PC on the network, but I want the connection between the NFS server and the VMs to be as fast as possible. Is it possible to route the traffic between host and VM over some kind of virtual switch, but still access them from the outside? Any thoughts?

Yes, looks ok. I'd use ZFS on the SSD too and do regularly send/receive from the SSD pool to the HDD pool for backup.

if you use ZFS you can use ZFSNFS or something like that.
I am also just setup a single node Proxmox with local storage (that is I have a single machine with 10 drives)
works ok.
my server is older dual opteron with 2 CPU 6 cores each and 49GB ram.
what I did though, is setup 2x120GB SSD for Proxmox boot in ZFS raid1 (rpool)
than added 2x1TB as raid1(pvestore) for Proxmox data store
and than created 2 additional pools to use for sharing.

Code:
root@pve2:~# zfs list
NAME                           USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
pvstore                       13.4G   886G  13.1G  /pvstore
pvstore/iso                    104K   886G   104K  /pvstore/iso
pvstore/template               336M   886G   336M  /pvstore/template
rpool                         23.8G  83.7G   104K  /rpool
rpool/ROOT                    7.27G  83.7G    96K  /rpool/ROOT
rpool/ROOT/pve-1              7.27G  83.7G  7.27G  /
rpool/data                    8.00G  83.7G   128K  /rpool/data
rpool/data/subvol-101-disk-2  8.00G     0B  8.00G  /rpool/data/subvol-101-disk-2
rpool/swap                    8.50G  92.2G  46.6M  -
tank0                         71.4G  5.20T    96K  /tank0
tank0/share0                  71.4G  5.20T  71.4G  /tank0/share0
tank1                          457G  2.19T    96K  /tank1
tank1/share1                   457G  2.19T   457G  /tank1/share1

but I do not share anything from the host. instead I setup a TurnKey MediaServer (this is like their File Server but with Emby installed) container and bind-mount my tanks 0 and 1 to it. that is my file server and all sharing is done from there.
maybe an overkill for you :)

PS>> also I am setting up my torrent and other download apps on the same container.
makes it easier to configure and interconnect. I just tried AtomicToolKit for setups and it is awesome.
since I have Emby and Transmission already installed before I remember ATK I left them as is.
but I got CouchPotato and NZBGet up and running in no time with ATK.
nex on the list is Sonar and LazyLibrarian. still trying to install headless Calibre.

I'm doing pretty much the same as this, plus an added Windows10 VM with GPU-passthrough as my HTPC and Pfsense VM as a core router.

In some cases, I have 2 disks attached to the VMs if there's bulk data stored, as well. All VMs have a "boot" drive on the main SSD and bulk data (e.g. Nexctloud /data/ dir, HTPC Steam Games library etc) is on the ZFS Pool.

All my media is otherwise in the ZFS pool and shared via NFS/SMB from the host machine to VMs and other clients. For NFS/SMB I just use the standard /etc/exports and smb.conf methods rather than ZFS' built-in methods.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!