Help understanding options when removing VM/LXC

goaliedude3919

Feb 2, 2024
I want to make sure I fully understand these options to make sure I don't delete something I didn't mean to.

* Purge from job configuration

This one seems pretty straightforward to me, if there are any jobs for backups and stuff like that for the VM/LXC, those jobs will be deleted with the VM/LXC. Seems like a no-brainer to enable.

* Destroy unreferenced disks owned by guest

This one I'm a little less clear on. From what I've been able to glean from other posts and such, leaving this unchecked will result in all mounted disks seen under the Hardware/Resources section being wiped. What I'm less certain about is what happens when you check this option. On some LXCs, I have a mount point added through systemd. Will checking that box wipe out the mounts configured via systemd? And, more importantly, if I simply leave that unchecked, will the systemd mounts be unaffected?

Any help understanding these better would be much appreciated. And if there's any documentation or something that explains this all, that would be super helpful as well.

* Purge from job configuration

This one seems pretty straightforward to me, if there are any jobs for backups and stuff like that for the VM/LXC, those jobs will be deleted with the VM/LXC. Seems like a no-brainer to enable.
Exactly, it will remove any configurations where the VMID is in use for QEMU VMs (e.g. Backup jobs, Storage replication jobs, HA, ...).
* Destroy unreferenced disks owned by guest

This one I'm a little less clear on. From what I've been able to glean from other posts and such, leaving this unchecked will result in all mounted disks seen under the Hardware/Resources section being wiped. What I'm less certain about is what happens when you check this option. On some LXCs, I have a mount point added through systemd. Will checking that box wipe out the mounts configured via systemd? And, more importantly, if I simply leave that unchecked, will the systemd mounts be unaffected?
This checkbox makes sure that all disks that are owned by this VM are deleted, even though they are not referenced within the configuration file. This means that all images that follow the VM's naming scheme (this heavily depends on your underlying storage) will also be deleted, e.g. when you only have a root disk mounted (e.g. vm-327-disk-0) and you have an image (e.g. vm-327-disk-1) that is not mounted or referenced in the config file (not even as an unused disk), then it will also be deleted when checking this box, otherwise it will be left there as usual.

Exactly, it will remove any configurations where the VMID is in use for QEMU VMs (e.g. Backup jobs, Storage replication jobs, HA, ...).

This checkbox makes sure that all disks that are owned by this VM are deleted, even though they are not referenced within the configuration file. This means that all images that follow the VM's naming scheme (this heavily depends on your underlying storage) will also be deleted, e.g. when you only have a root disk mounted (e.g. vm-327-disk-0) and you have an image (e.g. vm-327-disk-1) that is not mounted or referenced in the config file (not even as an unused disk), then it will also be deleted when checking this box, otherwise it will be left there as usual.
So, just confirming that I'm understanding you correctly, mounts configured via systemd will not be impacted even if I check the box for destroying unreferenced disks? With my use cases it doesn't sound like I'd ever want to check it anyway, but I just really need to make sure my systemd mounts won't be impacted. I can always unmount them, but I'd rather not have to go through the hassle any time I delete a VM/LXC.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!