[SOLVED] [Help] Static LAGG 2GB/s to 2 clients 1 Gateway from 1 NAS

toxic

Aug 1, 2020
Hello,

I'm getting desperate, I need help to find a setup where 2 windows clients can download files from my NAS using SMBv3 both at 1GB/s at the same time for a total 2GB/s sent from the NAS...

I've tried a lot of things and got LAGG working between lots of parties achieving 2GB/s several times but never for end-to-end from laptop to NAS.

What I have :
  • Box of my ISP recieving fiber internet 5GB/s but having only 3x1GB/s ethernet ports to use it (esentially max 3GB/s then...)
  • NAS Synology DS918+ with 2x1GB/s
  • Switch TP-Link SG1024DE 24 ports but only static LAGG up to 4 ports per group no LACP
  • Router/FW core i5 8th gen 32GB RAM with 6 integrated I211 intel NICs that is as proxmox VM host for my web services and runs opnSense as a VM
  • Backup router/fw J1900 8GB RAM and 6 I211 intel NICs with bare-metal opnSense (since no VT-d so no pci passthrough, can become proxmox backup if LAGG is done in proxmox more than opnSense)
  • 2 windows laptops plugged on the switch
  • a Wifi AP and lots of other crap connected on the Wifi or switch but these I can manage ;)

What I want :
  • for the 2 laptops to be able to use the windows share on the NAS at full speed at the same time
  • not buying anymore hardware

If you have ideas you can stop reading here and propose it ;) If you have time I'm now gonna tell you what I tried that did not work...

What I would like but can compromise on :
  • only my firewall get access to the ISP LAN side and serve as gateway/firewall
  • ability to use at least two 802.1Q VLANs so my SmartHome things can be forced into one VLAN by the AP (I know how to do it)
  • my firewall(s) should see all traffic coming and going to the NAS (I have loging enabled on all rules to/from the NAS and analyze them with Splunk)
  • Be able to use 2GB/s of my ISP traffic (split into several clients of course)
  • ability to access the proxmox host even when it's main router VM is down for backups for example (backup router could be the gateway if proxmox still has some network access while it's opnSense VM is down/paused)
  • have the core i5 be the primary router and not the physical J1900 box that I could one day repurpose since backup router for high availability is not really a big issue, let's focus on 1 router, I'd like it to be the fastest computer to do more than routing... I like running traefik in docker in LXC on the proxmox host...

I'm at a point where I'm considering the simplest setup that fullfils almost none of the optional wishes : one flat network for all LAN and each firewall a bridge to the ISP(wan) network with CARP VIP. That would work, but I'd be mostly blind in splunk as to what my NAS is doing for my LAN...

What I've tried, focusing on the primary router running in proxmox :
  • "Router on stick" setup where proxmox holds all 6 NICS into 2 bonds (max 4 ports per LAG group on switch) and passes virtual 10GB/s NIC(s) to the opnSense VM : 1 pass 1 VLAN-aware Linux bridge to the VM and setup the VLAN tagging in opnSense. The WAN VLAN had it's own virtualNIC due to LAG limit at 4 ports
  • proxmox holds all the NICs into 2 bonds again, but create Linux bridges in proxmox for each VLAN, then pass 1 10GB/s NIC by VLAN to opnSense VM
  • PCI pass-through of 5 of the 6 NICs to opnSense VM handeling
    • 1 big LAGG of 4 ports to client VLAN and NAS VLAN, one physical port to WAN
    • 1 LAGG of 2 ports to LAN VLAN, another LAGG of 2 ports to the NAS VLAN, one port for WAN
  • PCI pass-through of all 6 NICs to opnSense VM, played again with various LAG groups configs
  • PCI pass-through of 4 NICs (LAGG 2-2, 1-3 or even 4 ports and then VLAN on top of LAGG) plus a "router on stick" setup on the 2 remaining ports bonded in proxmox

In almost all these config, I do get full 2GB/s speeds on several legs of the network (almost all):
  • from the 2 clients running iperf client (normal and reverse mode) to proxmox running iperf (when no PCI pass-through)
  • from the clients again running iperf client to the opnSense VM running iperf server
  • from the opnSense VM and running iperf client (twice) to the NAS in normal mode
  • iperf client running on opnSense VM and a client or proxmox, to the NAS running iperf server
  • NAS running iperf server, opnSense VM running iperf client, and one laptop I plug in the switch on same VLAN as the NAS, bypassing the gateway

In all these cases I am able to get 2GB/s, except...
Cases 4 and 5 show where it breaks : opnSense is able to SEND to the NAS at full 2GB/s, but running iperf client with --reverse, I don't get the full 2GB/s, both iperf clients only add up to 1GB/s...

So I never got to my goal at the very top of this post : 2GB/s from clients to NAS through opnSense...

Any help or idea would be greatly appreciated !

Thanks a lot for your reading and help !

Ok, got this working, I had 2 issues in fact :

• Getting the bond working with vlan-aware in proxmox
    • create bond of all phy interfaces you need
    • create vmbrX having this bond as slave
    • attach the opnSense VM to vmbrX to access all VLANs
    • attach VMs to vmbrX.Y with Y beeing the VLAN
    • all traffic works, from pfSense to vmbrX, to phy devices with loadbalancing, no issues !
    • (what I did was attach vmbrY to bond0.Y and that is wrong but can almost work, it fails in subtle ways...)
  • Getting the Synology NAS to use more than layer2 hashing for his bond, because with a gateway inbetween, layer2 will always result in the hash putting all the traffic to the gateway on the same phy device regardless of the IP of the destination device...

Right now I'm still facing some issues but I think I understand now :

What happens is that I can almost never use 2 windows laptops to achieve 2GB/s downloading from the NAS, because I changed the bond on the NAS to use level3+4 for the hash algorythm.
Now, the 2 laptops are on a 10.0.30.x while the NAS is on 10.0.11.x so level2 is not enough for the hash since all trafic is going to the gateway anyway, so same level2 MAC address for both file downloads...
But level 3+4 will loadbalance more than the 2 flows in question for this download, and even SMB is maybe using several tcp connections... So even if level 3+4 have different results, the hash will have to chose between only 2 outgoing phy interface on the NAS, inevitabely there will be a lot of collisions and a lot of traffic that will have to share the same phy.

But with this setup, playing around with VMs downloading from the NAS using iperf, it then depends on the port I choose, but I am reliably able to avoid the collision by launching iperf client downloading on one machine then launching iperf client on another machine and if collision (bandwith drops on the first iperf), then I cancel and try again on the same machine with another ports on the server, keeping the first iperf running. Rince and repeat changing ports, at some point you'll get lucky and see 2GB/S. It's not always the same port combinaison even for the same IPs, but I always find one that works.

In this manner, it takes some time but I can always find a way to get 2GB/s from the NAS !
(In fact, I even got 2BG/s downloading from the NAS allthewile uploading 2GB/s to the NAS ! I was not aware but apparently a 1GB/s NIC can do 1 down and 1 up at the same time !)

So I was hoping that I could find a way to more reliably get 2GB/s downloading from the NAS to 2 devices...

In fact, I don't have any single device that can exceed 1GB/s by itself, so level3+4 does not make sense in this case I think.
My thinking now is that since most of my file download will be from devices in 10.0.30.x downloading from the NAS in 10.0.11.x, if I change the hash algorythm to level2+3 on the NAS, the level2 will always be the same, that is the MAC of the gateway, but level 3 will always be different because each device on my net has it's own IP and my gateway is not doing NAT between my LANs. So I hope there is a higher chance that with level 2+3 I can achieve 2GB/s more reliably... But in fact, layer 2+3 are already different right now every time, just unlucky with hash collisions when downloading using windows explorer and not able to control the port it uses... I got it working once or twice but I had to go on the NAS and kill the existing connections, hoping that the new one would result in a different NIC beeing selectedgiven the new srcPort in level4...

But in then end I also see that with so many IPs and only 2 physical NICs, there will be a lot of "hash collisions" and the logic is apparently not able to see that a specific physical NIC is overloaded and some tcp connections could benefit from changing to the other NIC...
That's disappointing to see 1 NIC on the NAS beeing overloaded and the other one just hanging around doing nothing while both windows laptops struggle to get more frames than the other...

That's quite a disappointment to now understand how LAGG works... Will not be putting more NICs into my devices... Can't wait for 5GB/s to catch up in the home market, sadly even 2.5G is not even there...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!