(HELP) Odd disk performance

95GMT400

Jul 21, 2021
I have a HP ProLiant ML350p Gen8 with a Smart Array P420i storage controller. I have 6 ST1000VN002 1TB Seagate Ironwolf drives in a RAID10. pve is installed to the RAID10 and then I am using the default local-LVM storage for the VMs. pveperf shows:
root@pve:~# pveperf CPU BOGOMIPS: 100594.80 REGEX/SECOND: 1100289 HD SIZE: 93.93 GB (/dev/mapper/pve-root) BUFFERED READS: 399.04 MB/sec AVERAGE SEEK TIME: 9.50 ms FSYNCS/SECOND: 2350.83 DNS EXT: 77.08 ms DNS INT: 57.83 ms (local)
I turned off the cache on the P420i controller completely as this stores very important data and even though I am diligently backing it up (or will be once there is data on it) I don't want to lose any data in case of power failure.
I have a Windows server VM that has horrible read performance, but amazing write performance:
1663013308951.png
I am using virtio scsi controller and the cache option is set to directsync currently, but the default option of no cache had the same performance.
To my understanding RAID 10 (in my case) would take 3 mirrors and stripe them together. This lead me to believe that I would have at least 3x read performance and 3x write performance, while having 1/2 my total storage. Is there something super obvious that I'm missing here or it this about the random read performance that I should see from these drives? I bought the NAS drives as I wanted something that wouldn't break the bank but is still rated to withstand the vibration of being run very close to other drives, as well as more reliable.

irrc, hw controller disable hdd own writecache too.
if cache of hw controller is also disable, perfs will slow as you show.
many will say fio benchmark is more revelant...
hw controller cache is protected by battery so no problem for power protection.
data loss if your hw controller die after power failure.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!