Help needed regarding bind mount/NFS permissions.

apoorv569

Sep 3, 2022
I recently switched to using Proxmox as my OS of choice and installed OMV inside a VM. I passed through my already existing 4TB drive and everything is good so far. Now I learned that in Proxmox if I use unprivilged LXC container, I need to mount either NFS or SMB share to Proxmox and then bind mount that share via CLI to that LXC. And if I choose to use a VM then I can just straight mount the share inside VM. I choose to use NFS for both scenarios, however I am having some problems with permission. For example I created 1 VM for Jellyfin (media streaming software), in this VM I installed Ubuntu Server 22.04 LTS and I created a user apoorv which has a UID of 1000. Now the in host OS Proxmox I also created a user as I didn't wanted to use the root account all the time. So I created a user called proxmox which also has UID of 1000. Now in the OMV VM I have 4 users, 3 for real people (family/friends) and 1 for managing the shares and all, I called the user proxmox which also has UID of 1000. Now I have a share for Jellyfin called media, here is a screenshot for permissions of the media share

2022-09-12-01-07.png

and here is a screenshot for the ACL of media share,
2022-09-12-01-09.png

2022-09-12-01-10.png

and here is a screenshot for the NFS share I created for media

2022-09-12-01-25.png

I have tried with both with and without the anonuid/anongid.

Now in the VM I mounted this share under /mnt/media, for adding this I have this in my /etc/fstab file,

Code:
IP:/export/media      /mnt/media      nfs     rw,soft,intr,noatime,timeo=100,rsize=32768,wsize=32768  0 2

and my user apoorv can see the mounted share fine, but the jellyfin web interface can only see /mnt/media and nothing beyond that.

I installed Jellyfin via the package manager. What am I missing here? Have I set some permission wrong?

BTW if I enable R/W/X for other in the ACL menu I can access the share fine in the web interface for Jellyfin, but of course I don't want to do that for obvious reasons.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!