Help needed. Desktop of a vm with intel 12gen gpu passthrough on a local monitor

rdmitry0911

Apr 11, 2020
Hi guys, I've managed to install sriov virtual gpu to windows 11 vm according to this guide. Everything is working now and I can access the vm via spice or rdp. Howevewr, I'd like to access this vm locally via keyboard, mouse and monitor attached to proxmox host itself. I can passthrough mouse and keyboard as they are usb devices, however I have no idea how to attach a monitor to a virtual gpu inside vm or how to redirect this vm's graphic output to it. I understand, that I can install desktop on top of proxmox and run spice or rdp in DE, but I don't want the unneeded overhead as I'm going to use this vm not very often, while DE will be consuming host resources all the time. Is there a way to avoid desktop installatin in proxmox while still be able to access vm desktop on the local monitor? May be there is a way to install desktop version of ubuntu or debian in lxc and attach a monitor to this lxc session? Any help would be very much appreciated

Thank you, Dmitry

May be there is a way to install desktop version of ubuntu or debian in lxc and attach a monitor to this lxc session?
I've managed to solve this using this guide. After all I have gnome de and intel gpu acceleration both in lxc and in vm. The final lxc config file looks like this:
Code:
root@pve-asrock:~# cat /etc/pve/lxc/115.conf

arch: amd64
cores: 4
hostname: debian
memory: 16384
net0: name=eth0,bridge=vmbr0,hwaddr=EE:0E:B9:F9:9D:A7,ip=dhcp,type=veth
ostype: debian
rootfs: pool:vm-115-disk-0,size=18G
swap: 0
lxc.cgroup2.devices.allow: c 226:* rwm
lxc.cgroup2.devices.allow: c 4:7 rwm
lxc.cgroup2.devices.allow: c 29:0 rwm
lxc.mount.entry: /dev/dri/ dev/dri none bind,optional,create=dir
lxc.mount.entry: /dev/tty7 dev/tty7 none bind,optional,create=file
lxc.mount.entry: /dev/fb0 dev/fb0 none bind,optional,create=file
lxc.cgroup2.devices.allow: c 13:* rwm
lxc.mount.entry: /dev/input dev/input none bind,optional,create=dir
lxc.cgroup2.devices.allow: c 116:* rwm
lxc.mount.entry: /dev/snd dev/snd none bind,optional,create=dir
Just to save time to somebody. To make jalleyfin in lxc to use hardware acceleration, this has to be done inside the container:
Code:
chmod 777 /dev/dri/*
Otherwise ffmpeg produces this error during transcoding:
Code:
[AVHWDeviceContext @ 0x562349724d80] No VA display found for any default device.
Device creation failed: -22.
Failed to set value 'vaapi=va:,driver=iHD,kernel_driver=i915' for option 'init_hw_device': Invalid argument
Error parsing global options: Invalid argument

Reactions: leesteken
I have one question before deciding to split my Intel iGPU virtually and I have alder lake i5-1235u.
Say, if I split to 3 vGPU, will there be a cap of the individual vGPU max performance to 1/3 of the iGPU? Or it will dynamically shared the resources?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!