Help combining 2x1tb drives with a 2tb drive!!!

devins07

Jan 1, 2023
hello, I have a Proxmox server, where i had 2x2tb drives in raid 1, one of the drives failed, and i dont currently have a replacement Yet, as i had just gotten these drives and they both have less than 4,000 hours on them. my question is complicated, i have 2x1tb drives laying around, i still want redundancy, so, is it possible to put both the 1tb drives in raid zero and then somehow combine that pool with the 2tb drive to form redundancy? also, how would i do this all without losing all my data thats already on the 2tb hdd?

If you are talking about ZFS, then that won't work. You can only stripe mirrors but not mirror a stripe.

ZFS: yes, you *can* setup a concatenated VDEV that is then mirrored - not "easy", rather use the mdadm stripe/concat method to creat a single 2TB drive to attacj in the mirror

Or create a stripe/raid0 with the two 1TB drives (make them half the 2TB drive size, carefully calculate the size beforehand otherwise this won't work), copy everything over, wipe the 2TB drive and create two partitions on it which can then mirror/raid1 the other two vdevs. EDIT: If it's your rpool, then this will be (much) more complicated...

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!