Hardware Raid VS ZFS

JohnD

Renowned Member
Oct 7, 2012
Hello everybody,

i am building a new server and i am not sure if i want to use a hardware Raid controller (Dell Perc H730P).

One big advantage would be the hotswap capabilities but i am unsure about performance and snapshot features.

Option 1)
A ZFS Mirror with 4*1,92 TB SSDs and the snapshot features of ZFS.
I can theoretically use NVMe with better performance here.

Option 2)
A hardware Raid 10 with 4*1,92 TB SSDs with LVM on top get COW snapshots.

Option 3)
Raid controller in HBA mode just to get hotswap and ZFS a mirror on top. I think i would lose S.M.A.R.T here?!?

What would you prefer for what reasons?
Does NVMe hotswap exist?

Thank you.

Raid controller in HBA mode just to get hotswap and ZFS a mirror on top. I think i would lose S.M.A.R.T here?!?
ZFS is killing SDDs really fast if it is not a datacenter/enterprise SSD and it is hard to find a enterpise M.2 SSD. Most of them just don't offer powerloss protection or MLC flash. But I think qcow2 shouldn't be much better if you want snapshot capabilities.
I use a Dell PERC in HBA/IT mode for my ZFS pool and SMART works fine.
For ZFS your HBA should be as stupid as possible. I only would use them if need more ports the mainboard is offering.

That's would be a no-brainer to me: ZFS by all means!
The Perc Controllers are good, but ZFS is more flexible in general and most important: provides integrated data integrity features.
HTH

If you want max speed with NVMe, then you will have to dump the hardware RAID and go ZFS/LVM.

I'd probably not choose hardware RAID unless I really needed blind swap. Use option 1 and choose either SAS/SATA (to save money) or NVMe. If the server comes with the Perc then I'd do hardware RAID with LVM backed storage.

The server comes with the Dell Perc and either enterprise nvme SSDs or enterprise sata SSDs.
Obviously no hardware raid with NVMe.
So I guess ZFS Mirror on NVMe would be your favorite?

The server comes with the Dell Perc and either enterprise nvme SSDs or enterprise sata SSDs.
Obviously no hardware raid with NVMe.
So I guess ZFS Mirror on NVMe would be your favorite?
NVMe on a simple 2 or 4 way mirror would be screaming fast.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!