supervache

Dec 6, 2019
Hi !

I hope you are okay and that COVID19 is not too restrictive for you!

I want to create a new HA cluster with proxmox. My goal is to use it in production mode.

I am wondering about public ip. For example :

If I create a virtualized web server available on the internet with a public ip (let’s say 1.2.3.4 failover IP).

The proxmox node goes down. In this case the server moves on another HA node, but the publicfailover IP will still point to the failed host.

This example is also true with a pfsense VM : if I set up an IPSec VPN, the public IP cannot change!

How to do ?

I specify that I will host my servers at OVH, maybe Vrack/RPN are a solution?
Can you inform me please?

Thank you for your help

You would still connect to the VM's IP address, wouldn't you? That's not related to the public address of the node, at least if you use bridges as network connections.

I'm using ESXi for production and HA now, and when I need to gives a public IP to a VM, i order an IP on OVH, apply it to my esxi cluster, then I can configure it on my VM.
If One of hosts is down, VM is moved to an other alive hosts, and IP is following.

How could i do that with proxmox ?

You would define a bridge on all the nodes with that public address. The VM gets this bridge as network adapter.
This way the definition is always the same for the VM, regardless which node it runs on.

i Think your node should not have a public ip.
i would set up a Firewall between ISP-Router and Proxmox-Datacenter!
So only the firewall react on public IP and send the information to the vm on your Node!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!