Guidance for configuring NICs on Proxmox host, pass through WAN from modem to WiFi router with host as middleman.

elzorroazul777

Dec 7, 2022
I am green as grass after a nice spring rain.

I'd like to learn more about networking, and as the title suggests I'd like to create a system that ultimately has the WAN from my modem go through the Proxmox host (NIC 1) and out (NIC 2) to my WiFi router.

I just need help being pointed in the right direction, or maybe some shared examples from similar setups.

Thanks!

I am green as grass after a nice spring rain.

I'd like to learn more about networking, and as the title suggests I'd like to create a system that ultimately has the WAN from my modem go through the Proxmox host (NIC 1) and out (NIC 2) to my WiFi router.

I just need help being pointed in the right direction, or maybe some shared examples from similar setups.

Thanks!
From the above not all details about your environment are known, AFAIU your WAN modem is connect via cable ethernet to NIC1 at Proxmox host where NIC2 is connected to WAN connector of WiFi (NAT) router. In other words both Proxmox VMs as well as some equipment communicating only via WLAN should be able to access internet via modem.

You can assign both NICs in proxmox host to the same bridge (vmbr0 per default). If really WAN is passed through (and not a local network) to Wifi router the question remains how to access to internet from Proxmox (and possibly existing VMs) sind you get probably only one public IP.

semantics of the wording “pass through” might make things murky for those helping. I infer you mean “pass through“ in the generic non-networking way and not IOMMU/SR-IOV.

is this external modem a firewall/router. If not any consideration for exposing the Proxmox host directly to wan? Is Proxmox currently connected to this modem? if so, how? If not, how does the Proxmox node connect to the internet. can you copy your /etc/network/interfaces file here and give some explanation of what each interface is connected to.

semantics of the wording “pass through” might make things murky for those helping. I infer you mean “pass through“ in the generic non-networking way and not IOMMU/SR-IOV.

is this external modem a firewall/router. If not any consideration for exposing the Proxmox host directly to wan? Is Proxmox currently connected to this modem? if so, how? If not, how does the Proxmox node connect to the internet. can you copy your /etc/network/interfaces file here and give some explanation of what each interface is connected to.
The external modem is a modem/router combo. I was able to set the modem device to 'bridged' mode to turn off the router portion. My current configuration is now this: modem ---> WiFi router/switch ---> NIC #1 on Proxmox server. I think I have what I need to continue my research/learning, mainly turning off the router portion of the modem to have the WAN easily available via ethernet. Thanks for the reply!

keep in mind that most would like a firewall between wan and Proxmox. Can be baremetal, your own rules in the Proxmox firewall or a vm/LXC.

keep in mind that most would like a firewall between wan and Proxmox. Can be baremetal, your own rules in the Proxmox firewall or a vm/LXC.
Thank you for the recommending this consideration. Setting up a proper firewall will be my next project.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!