Guest Agent not running

He Eoin,

Yes, that is helpful. That's what I have followed in setting up. The service is running on the Windows OS. And I have QEMU Guest Agent Enabled on the options on the 1 and only VM.

When I use the command qm agent 100 ping (100 is the Windows VM) I just get QEMU guest agent is not running.

I'm not sure what is wrong as the setup seems so simplistic. I have rebooted the VM and Proxmox just to make sure and no change.

@CCWTech So, you installed virtio-win and virtio-serial drivers, installed QEMU guest agent? Maybe try to change HDD connector type to something different?

Eoin

Yes I did. How would HDD connector impact it? It's a Windows service. Wouldn't there be potential data loss if I changed HDD connector type?

I'm still searching for a fix for the Windows agent for Proxmox. Any updates to the instructions on how to make this work for WIndows VMs? (or is Windows just not widely supported?)

@CCWTech @PitRejection2359 have you double checked the Device Manager for missing drivers (particularly VirtIO Serial)?
I had the same problem with trying to get Guest Agent to work on Windows Server 2019, where I initially installed the VirtIO Serial drivers after checking the Device Manager before installing Guest Agent. It turns out that after installing Guest Agent and restarting, nothing worked.
I checked Device Manager again and found that the VirtIO Serial driver had problem, reinstalled the driver and restart, now Guest Agent work properly

Reactions: layer8prob
@CCWTech I can confirm what @quadcube says. It worked for me. In my case the issue was with Windows Server 2012 R2. I had installed the last version at the moment( virtio-win-0.1.185-2/ ), and I had an issue with the VirtIO Serial driver too( In Device Manager/System Devices/ VirtIO Serial Driver it had a yellow exclamation sign). After changing and installing several times different versions virtio-win-0.1.187 was the one that worked for me. I hope it helps

I'm having the same issue- First VMs for Windows 10 and Windows Server 2019. Followed the instructions:
Code:
PS C:\Users\Administrator> get-service qemu-ga

Status   Name               DisplayName
------   ----               -----------
Running  qemu-ga            QEMU Guest Agent

But:
Code:
# qm agent 106 ping
No QEMU guest agent configured

I installed the drivers under Device manager, rebooted. Nothing missing under the device manager now.

I agree. I am using this in a lab environment to see if I can recommend Proxmox to my clients. Unfortunately, most of them are mixed Linux/Windows environments so this is not an option. While the Windows VM's run ok, I think there is missing functionality.

This is an awesome product for a pure Linux environment but I cannot suggest it for mixed environments.

Figured it out!

The drivers are controlled by your VM options:
  1. Hardware -> Memory -> Ballooning Device = Windows VirtIO Ballon Driver
  2. Options -> QEMU Guest Agent = Windows VirtIO Serial Driver
The need to be set before you boot the VM and install the drivers. If you enable either of these after you have installed the drivers, you nned to go the device manager and make that the devices are there and install the drivers if necessary.

I wish that the QEMU Guest Agent was enabled as this is the biggest issue newbs like me have starting out.

Once you have the VirtIO Ballon Driver and Virt IO Serial driver installed, then install the QEMU Guest agent and you are ready to roll.

You need to see these drivers

1634775701448.png

Last edited:
The[y] need to be set before you boot the VM and install the drivers.
Slight correction in case anyone else comes looking here in the future... The QEMU Agent and Balloon Driver can be enabled at any time. You can enable them after booting the VM and you can enable them before or after you install the drivers and software, just as long as you do both at some point. More details in this other thread.

If you do enable them after first boot, the VM will need to be powered off completely for the "hardware" changes to take affect. A simple restart is not sufficient.

Agent wouldn't work until I installed "virtio-win-guest-tools.exe" from the virtio-win-0.1.229 ISO.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!