[SOLVED] Grub error "compression algorithm inherit not supported" on reboot

Hi,

after a package update yesterday my server doesn't boot anymore. The error reads:

Code:
error: compression algorithm inherit not supported
Entering rescue mode...
grub rescue>

I've read other messages on the forum asking for the output of ls and set so here it is:
Bildschirmfoto 2017-12-12 um 07.57.38.png

What can I do to make my system bootable again? Regards

Christian

what is the pool layout? from the available disks I'd guess striped mirrors / RAID 10 ? what does "zfsinfo" output in the grub rescue shell?

if you boot the installer in debug mode and hit abort on the first screen, does ZFS see the pool as "importable", or does it complain about something?

Code:
zpool import

if you attempt to import it (without mounting), does it work?

Code:
mkdir /rpooltarget
zpool import -R /rpooltarget -N rpool

if it does, please run "zpool get all" and "zfs get all" and post the output here, as well as "zpool history | tail -n 100"

Yes, pool layout is RAID 10. I've created a bootable USB stick from the Proxmox 5.1 installation image.

1. Booting into rescue mode works. It ends on the busybox prompt.
IMG_1864 1.jpg
The rescue system doesn't have zfsinfo, or does it?

2. Booting into debug installation crashed, probably related to the LSI MegaRaid 9341-4i RAID controller driver.
Bildschirmfoto 2017-12-12 um 11.47.51.png
The drives are attached as JBOD and handled by bios.

Yes, pool layout is RAID 10. I've created a bootable USB stick from the Proxmox 5.1 installation image.

1. Booting into rescue mode works. It ends on the busybox prompt.
View attachment 6467
The rescue system doesn't have zfsinfo, or does it?

different rescue system. this one is the busybox prompt, I meant the grub rescue shell.

could you get output of
  • lsblk
  • zdb
in the busybox shell? it looks like ZFS either does not see the non-NVME disks at all, or cannot read the labels.

zfsinfo from the grub rescue shell would still be interesting, as well as "ls (hd0)" (and 1, 2, 3), also from the grub shell.

2. Booting into debug installation crashed, probably related to the LSI MegaRaid 9341-4i RAID controller driver.
View attachment 6468
The drives are attached as JBOD and handled by bios.

that does not look good. could you get the full trace? did you see similar traces/warnings/panics before?

This turned out to be a hardware failure on the LSI MegaRAID controller. As for ZFS it's better to not even have such controller. Even though I configured the disks as JBOD, it caused compatibility issues. I finally removed the controller, attached the drives to the onboard SATA connectors, rebooted… and everything came back instantly.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!