Grub error after Update to v3

Mar 1, 2022
Hello everybody..

I urgently need your help. Today, I upgraded our Proxmox Backup Server from version 2.x to 3. Since then, it no longer boots, and I get the error message

'error: disk xx.x.x. not found.'

The recovery guide for Proxmox doesn't seem to help me here.

Does anyone have any ideas? The backup server runs in a VM on a Proxmox server

Thank you very much!!"

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-29 132654.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-29 132654.png
    103.6 KB · Views: 9
which parts of the recovery guide did you try? it's very likely you are running into exactly that issue: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Recove...disk_not_found.22_error_when_booting_from_LVM
Hello Fabian, I've taken exactly those steps.
  1. Boot from a live USB/CD/DVD with LVM support (grml).
  2. Run vgscan.
Vgscan doesn't output anything.
When I execute "lvcreate -L 4M pve -n grubtemp," I get the error "Volume group 'pve' not found. Cannot process volume group 'pve'."
If I use "psb-root" instead of "pve," I get the same error message.

What am I doing wrong?

what about "pvscan" ?

could you run "blkid" as well? I assume /dev/sda3 would be your PV, and /dev/sdb and /dev/sdc are set up as zpools?

okay, this might be a different issue then, if grml isn't able to detect the disk as LVM whatsoever.. are the disks regular volumes on some storage, or passed through somehow?

two more things you could try:
- "pvck /dev/sda3"
- "lvmdiskscan"

based on the size I assume LVM "only" contained your / file system, and not your datastores?

okay, this might be a different issue then, if grml isn't able to detect the disk as LVM whatsoever.. are the disks regular volumes on some storage, or passed through somehow?

two more things you could try:
- "pvck /dev/sda3"
- "lvmdiskscan"

based on the size I assume LVM "only" contained your / file system, and not your datastores?
Yes, those are the disks from Proxmox on which the VM is running. Yes, SDB is very important. Our backups run on it every night, just like tonight. Can I alternatively create a new PBS VM and migrate the SDB1 'BackupStorage' to it?

Attachments

• 1701266868264.png
    1701266868264.png
    67 KB · Views: 3
yes, that should work (you will have to manually create the datastore.cfg entry (or create a new datastore with a different path and then edit it to point at the existing one and reboot) and re-create any job configuration you had before), the datastore is completely self-contained other than the job configs.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!