GPU Passthrough

cammo

May 24, 2019
Hey everyone, this is my first go at setting up Proxmox. I have an Ubuntu 18.04 VM running on an older HP Z400 with an upgraded AMD FirePro v4800 GPU. I setup the GPU passthrough as described by the docs and lots of googling. I was able to get Ubuntu to see the GPU but performance is awful, it can barley paint the UI, lagging on everything. I've read if passthrough is setup correctly you won't be able to see your VM in noVNC in the Proxmox admin but I still can. Really not sure where to go from here. Attached is the output of lspci | grep vga

When I tried to install the proper catalyst drivers for my card I was met with "error: Detected X Server version 'XServer 1.20.1_64a' is not supported. Supported versions are X.Ogr 6.9 or later, up to Xserver 1.10, instillation will not proceed. I tried installing the AMDGPU PRO drivers and it just crashes on boot so I had to uninstall them. I can't figure out how to get Ubuntu to use the FirePro card... Any help is much appreciated!

Attachments

• ubuntu-gpu.png
    ubuntu-gpu.png
    112.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Hello there,

There are couple of issues I like to address:

1. Catalyst is too old for Ubuntu 18.04 and not supported. Stick with the open source drivers for best performance.
  2. AMDGPU (PRO) only support GCN cards, if you card is not GCN, stick with the open source drivers.
  3. Your XOrg configuration might be using the wrong GPU, keep in mind, you'll need either a KVM-Over-IP, Remote Desktop of some kind (caveat, when it comes to any remote desktop technology, don't expect to play high frame rate videos), or have a Display directly attached to GPU card.
  4. If you not intending to use the software GPU, you can set the Display to none.

Cheers

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!