GPU Passthrough (Nvidia)

BiggestPig

Nov 18, 2021
I am trying to setup GPU Passthrough but i cant get it to work.

I followed this documentation and setup everything as described there. I am seeing the GPU correctly under PCI devices in the guest (I tried Ubuntu, debian and Unraid) but the Nvidia driver is not detecting the GPU. Each time I run Nvidia-smi I get: "No devices were found"

Meanwhile in the logs I get the error: NVRM: GPU 0000:01.0: RmInitAdapter failed! (0x22:0x56:751)

Settings for VM (I also tried it with Primary):
1637337346217.png

What I tried so far:
- Nearly Every Nvidia Driver Version
- Diffrent PCIe Slot
- The mentioned OSs with different GPU configs and different BIOS (Seabios and OVMF) and also different OS Versions.

(GPU is outputting Video on boot so I would think no Hardware Problem.)

Hardware:
AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2920X
ASRock X399 Taichi
64GB DDR4
Nvidia Quadro P400 <-- GPU which is not working correctly
2x 250GB SATA SSD (for Proxmox and ISOs)
3x 500GB NVME SSD in raidz1 (for VMs and CT)

Anyone got similar Problems or any Tips?

I'm also getting this error, but only in one of my GPUs.

Might this be a new error introduced in the latest version of Proxmox? Because that same GPU was working fine with an older version (although in a different motherboard).

I am also getting this issue but with GPU pass through on ESXi. Were you able to find a solution?

I am also getting this issue but with GPU pass through on ESXi. Were you able to find a solution?
Yes, I actually did in ESXI.

You need to add the following Configuration Parameters to the VM you are passing through the A100 :

Code:
pciPassthru.use64bitMMIO TRUE
pciPassthru.64bitMMIOSizeGB 128

After this it worked fine for me.

Yes, I actually did in ESXI.

You need to add the following Configuration Parameters to the VM you are passing through the A100 :

Code:
pciPassthru.use64bitMMIO TRUE
pciPassthru.64bitMMIOSizeGB 128

After this it worked fine for me.

Thanks for the tip. I gave it a try and unfortunately it did not work for me. I was, however, able to get a VM running with the Nvidia drivers with Debian as the guest OS. Seeing something strange with ESXi/Ubuntu.

https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/nvidia-smi-no-devices-were-found-vmware-esxi-ubuntu-server-20-04-03-with-rtx3070/202904/

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!