Good Configuration for my Homelab, help needed

Roemer

Jun 15, 2022
Hello all
I want to switch from ESXi to fully proxmox in my homelab.
Currently, I have the following hardware:
- Dell R240 with ESXi with 3 VMs (the only one that runs permanently as it also has our Smart Home stuff on it)
- Dell R620 with Proxmox with 2 VMs
- Dell R320 empty
- Dell R520 empty

The first question I have is if I should use Proxmox Clustering. I don't want HA or live migrations. Almost all VM data will be local only. I would only want clustering to easily move VMs around or to have a single webpage to administer all servers. Also most of the time, at least some servers will be shut off (for power saving, as I need most only for labbing / partially). Also I don't really want to setup a dedicted network just for the cluster communication, it's just a homelab. Would all this just cause more trouble than just using scp for copying and multiple links to manage the servers or is this a valid scenario for Proxmox Clustering?

My second question is about storage: To be honest, I just don't understand it. Searched a lot but didn't find answers. All servers have a HW-Raid controller and usually, I do Raid 1 with 2 disks, sometimes this is all I have and sometimes, I have another 2 disks in Raid 1. As I mentioned before, I almost exclusively just use local storage and probably never need to expand it (even 1TB is enough for all VMs for 1 host). Should I keep it that way and just install proxmox with ex4 and have this 100GB local and the rest local-lvm (thin I think)? Or should I go any other route? Also for the servers where I have two raid 1 virtual volumes, as what should I add the second? As directory to be flexible? As lvm-thin? In the same volume group or different one? Or should I scrap the HW-Raid and go zfs or something?

It would be really helpfull to get some tips and hints for this setup.

Many, many thanks in advance.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!