FreeNAS pcie/sata passthrough

jeschke

Oct 31, 2019
hi all,

I am planning to setup a freeNAS VM and pass through the relevant controller.

my setup:
- supermicro x10sdv-6c
- 1x m.2 nvme for proxmox OS etc
- 4x sata HDD to pass through to freeNAS

my question now:
would it make more sense to
A: pass through the on-board sata controller to the freeNAS VM and add a pcie-ssd for VM's, backups etc
B: get a LSI-controller to pass through the HDD's and use the onboard sata for one more SSD for VM's, backup etc.

I am grateful for any help!

Cheers,
jeschke

Can you pass through the on-board SATA controller? Is it in its own IOMMU group? Did you test this beforehand? Given this choice, I would go with option B.
Adding an additional controller for the HDDs would allow you to use it as slow but reliable storage (RAID-Z) for ISOs and backups. Then add additional SSDs for fast storage for running VMs. I prefer to run the Proxmox system on at least a mirror,in case one of the drives dies. The fast storage for VMs does not need to be mirrored if you make backups often, and you will probably enjoy the speed.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!