FreeBSD Shutdown problem

if it goes into KVM, yes. currently we have 0.13, so it looks its not in. or what version do you tested? (show your: pveversion -v)

pve-manager: 1.7-10 (pve-manager/1.7/5323)
running kernel: 2.6.35-1-pve
proxmox-ve-2.6.35: 1.6-7
pve-kernel-2.6.32-4-pve: 2.6.32-28
pve-kernel-2.6.35-1-pve: 2.6.35-7
qemu-server: 1.1-25
pve-firmware: 1.0-9
libpve-storage-perl: 1.0-16
vncterm: 0.9-2
vzctl: 3.0.24-1pve4
vzdump: 1.2-9
vzprocps: 2.0.11-1dso2
vzquota: 3.0.11-1
pve-qemu-kvm: 0.13.0-2
ksm-control-daemon: 1.0-4

tried on both kernels

ask the KVM maintainers why these patch is not in 0.13. are you sure that this patch is the solution?

I think they didn't come to a consensus regarding whether it will make other VM's stop working or not.
There are lots of patches as "new", all of them are not in the current kvm...
I've got a bunch of vm's running using your system, but freebsd one's won't restart, and the whole server shutdown sequence stops...
Is there a way I could patch everything by myself? Or only install pure qemu-kvm with this patch will help?

Last edited:
So there is no way to fix this? :(
It is impossible to shutdown FreeBSD VM with current setup. You have to kill it...

the right place to dicuss a possible fix is the KVM community.

found a fix, you have to compile seabios from their git repo, then replace bios.bin with the new one, my shutdown's now work perfectly.
if you need it I can give you both the repo and the compiled version...

I would like this very much, please! I have a pfsense and windows XP kvms that cannot be shutdown gracefully :(

Sigh, I spoke too soon. The above bios does in fact solve the acpi power button. Unfortunately (and I don't know why), it also somehow cripples performance of the win xp kvm, so I am back to the stock bios :(

BIOS should not imply problems with performance in no way, check if the kvm emulation is on when running the container

It is. I am very puzzled. All I did was rename bios.bin to bios.bin.old and copy yours to bios.bin. It is not that terribly slow, but noticeably slower than the old bios. I shutdown XP, rename back to the original bios and it is fine. Put the new one back in and slow again. It is not nearly as slow as not using kvm at all. If you are doing something with IRQs, can't that affect things somehow?

might be, should check the changeset of the bios, what has changed will tell us the problem, unfortunately their git repo is VERY slow for me...

okay, i will stay tuned. the problem is that the slowness is a very subjective thing - it isn't like i can say "X takes Y seconds with the old bios but Y+N seconds with the new one".

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!