FreeBSD Shutdown problem

forgive me, i've never used git before. i assume i need to discard everything after a certain point, except for the irq9 change? if so, how far back am i supposed to go?

Yeah, I just realized there are two ways to approach this: 1) take the current code and back out the irq9 fix, and 2) take a snapshot as of the timeframe that qemu shipped with proxmox had, and add the irq9 fix to that. #1 seems much easier (and more reliable.) if that fixes it, that is the issue, otherwise some other change is. i will let you know...

well that didn't work. i seem to have mismerged something (and/or a subsequent commit to that file is the issue.) anyway, i just noticed that there is a tag just for that one cherry-picked change. i will try that later...

might be... the seabios in current proxmox pack is ancient, so you'll have to go down a lot i think... find the qemu version then look which seabios was bundled, or easier, check the bios on startup of a container

Sigh. Apologies for the wasted bandwidth here. I forgot that I had violated a cardinal rule by not only updating the BIOS but switching to ext4. I think what was killing me was the write barrier in ext4. I switched back to ext3 with your BIOS and the performance is fine. Sorry again :(

I've been encountering something annoying (I can't swear it only started with the bios with the above fix, but it definitely happens 100% of the time for me.) If I do some kind of reboot (either via the reboot button in proxmox, or typing 'reboot' in the linux host), the VM shuts down - it does NOT reboot. I would be glad to track down whatever diagnostic info you think might be helpful...

Same here but with BSD vm's, seems like this fix plays bad with something else in acpi... I wonder what? Maybe we should post an issue to their tracker? I can't find it though :(

Oh, sorry. I didn't mean to imply it was only linux. I see this with ANY OS I have tried. BSD, linux and windows XP :( Unfortunately, reverting to the old bios is not an option, since I lose the ACPI shutdown :(

look like you talk about containers (OpenVZ), this thread is about KVM - don´t mix this - pls open new thread for new topic but before use the search function of the forum - this question is discussed several times already.

Because the description of your problem sounds like an OpenVZ issue to me.

I thought I had replied to this post, but I don't see it. Anyway, if you re-read the thread, I refer to bios and acpi several times. Neither of those concepts has anything to do with openvz.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!