[SOLVED] Framebuffer configuration

otoman

Mar 25, 2022
Hello,

So I've been looking into installing a desktop onto my Proxmox server so I can use NoMachine and such to connect to VMs which I do not passthrough any GPUs to. I installed MATE + lightdm and have had issues starting Xserver until I found a post which sadi to create a file in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-fbdev.conf where the driver is set as "fbdev". That worked, however, the resolution is stuck at 1024x768 regardless of what I do with fbset or however I try to modify the .conf file.

I have an Alder Lake cpu with integrated GPU which I want to use for the desktop. Since I aso followed a guide on configuration for GPU passthrough for my R9 290, I think some of the cmd parameters in grub is preventing me from loading any other framebuffer driver.
This is the line from grub:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet intel_iommu=on iommu=pt pcie_acs_override=downstream,multifunction nofb nomodeset video=vesafb:eek:ff,efifb:eek:ff"

I assume all these lines disabling fb are responsible? Note that other than the resolution, I'm perfectly happy with how this setup works.

I don't know why fbset doesn't work (no errors), but I tried directly changing /sys/class/graphics/fb0/modes though it won't let me write there.

I have the latest kernel 5.15.39-1 and all packages are up-to-date.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

otoman

video=vesafb:off,efifb:off does not work (anymore). If you want that (probably not) use video=vesafb:off video=efifb:off (efifb for UEFI and vesafb for legacy boot). However, since kernel 5.15 simplefb is used instead. Why would you turn it off when you want the integrated/on-board graphics to display graphics.

If your AMD R9 290 is not the boot GPU (which it does not need to be because of the integrated/on-board graphics) and you are running a recent 5.15 kernel, then you don't need any BOOTFB work-arounds to get passthrough working. Therefore, nofb nomodeset are probably not needed (anymore).

Changes to the kernel parameters can be tested by pressing the e key during the boot menu and changing the kernel boot line. This change it only used until you shutdown or reboot, so you could try it with little risk.

According to the Proxmox wiki, you don't really need additional configuration after installing mate and lightdm. Another approach is to install Debian with a (full) graphics desktop environment and then install Proxmox on top of it.

Well, I was following a guide which didn't go into every detail and at the time I wasn't planning on having a desktop environment. I'm still pretty new to linux and proxmox so I'm learning as I go.

So what I should do is remove all fb disabling arguments and nomodeset? I'll test it now.
I created the fbdev.conf because otherwise the X server wouldn't start.

Also, ever since I installed Proxmox, it can't use my monitor's audio over HDMI. I always get message "hdaudioc00000001 and hdaudioc0000002: failed to configure. disabling..." or something like that. Is there a way to fix that too? When I connect my audio interface it works fine.
The monitor is an AOC 2460G5

EDIT: I removed what you suggested and it WORKED!!! Thanks a lot! I'd wasted this whole day fiddling with this.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!