[SOLVED] Filesystem type for disk bind-mounted on PBS LXC

Hi,
I have a test PVE environment at home (built on Intel NUC) where I've installed PBS in an LXC container (I don't have performance problems so I've decided to go this way instead of installing PBS packages on PVE host) that is backing up PVE VMs on an external NFS mount.
Now I've got a 2TB SATA SSD on /dev/sda on PVE host and Id like to bind mount that disk in the PBS container, can I simply define a new directory storage in PVE and then bind-mount the resulting /mnt/pve/pbs_backups folder into the PBS container? Is EXT4 the right way or should I mess with LVM or LVM-thin stuff for this purpose?

UPDATE: everything seems to work fine with my setup, I list the steps I've followed in case it is useful to some PVE/PBS nOOb like me.

1) Added disk to the PVE host => /dev/sda

2) From PVE GUI I've selected my pie node => Disks => Directory => Create new Directory: selected pbs_backups as name and ext4 as FS and removed mark from Add Storage since I don't need it to be seen as Storage in PVE.
This makes PVE mount /dev/sda1 on /mnt/pve/pbs_backups

3) Stopped Debian11 LXC unprivileged container (ct/101) with PBS installation

4) Added /mnt/pve/pbs_backups as additional mount point on /pbs_backups folder within the container:
pct set 101 -mp1 /mnt/pve/pbs_backups,mp=/pbs_backups

5) Started PBS container and from PBS GUI => Datastore => Add Datastore and configured sata-backups-pbs specifying /pbs_backups as Backing Path (you can customize Prune Options too)

6) Back to PVE: select Datacenter => Storage => Add => Proxmox Backup Server: enter server details (IP, User, Password, Fingerprint found on PBS Dashboard) and specify sata-backups-pbs in the Datastore field

At this point, you can backup using the Proxmox Backup Server with SATA backing storage as target ;)

Attachments

• 1668448701331.png
    1668448701331.png
    148.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 1668448738849.png
    1668448738849.png
    19 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Reactions: marekop
Hi,
I have a test PVE environment at home (built on Intel NUC) where I've installed PBS in an LXC container (I don't have performance problems so I've decided to go this way instead of installing PBS packages on PVE host) that is backing up PVE VMs on an external NFS mount.
Now I've got a 2TB SATA SSD on /dev/sda on PVE host and Id like to bind mount that disk in the PBS container, can I simply define a new directory storage in PVE and then bind-mount the resulting /mnt/pve/pbs_backups folder into the PBS container? Is EXT4 the right way or should I mess with LVM or LVM-thin stuff for this purpose?

UPDATE: everything seems to work fine with my setup, I list the steps I've followed in case it is useful to some PVE/PBS nOOb like me.

1) Added disk to the PVE host => /dev/sda

2) From PVE GUI I've selected my pie node => Disks => Directory => Create new Directory: selected pbs_backups as name and ext4 as FS and removed mark from Add Storage since I don't need it to be seen as Storage in PVE.
This makes PVE mount /dev/sda1 on /mnt/pve/pbs_backups

3) Stopped Debian11 LXC unprivileged container (ct/101) with PBS installation

4) Added /mnt/pve/pbs_backups as additional mount point on /pbs_backups folder within the container:
pct set 101 -mp1 /mnt/pve/pbs_backups,mp=/pbs_backups

5) Started PBS container and from PBS GUI => Datastore => Add Datastore and configured sata-backups-pbs specifying /pbs_backups as Backing Path (you can customize Prune Options too)

6) Back to PVE: select Datacenter => Storage => Add => Proxmox Backup Server: enter server details (IP, User, Password, Fingerprint found on PBS Dashboard) and specify sata-backups-pbs in the Datastore field

At this point, you can backup using the Proxmox Backup Server with SATA backing storage as target
;)

Thank You so much for your post. It's very difficult to find information how to set PBS as LXC. I tried your solution many times with no success until I created privileged container and bum! is working! I also be able to add disk as a mount point mp0 from the GUI.
1668709450890.png

Last edited:
Thank You so much for your post. It's very difficult to find information how to set PBS as LXC. I tried your solution many times with no success until I created privileged container and bum! is working! I also can be able to add disk as a mount point mp0 from the GUI.
View attachment 43351
Hi, I'm happy you've found my post useful :) After the post I've did it again from scratch because I wanted to mount the sata disk on /mnt/pve/sata_disk and expose a pbs_backups folder within it, in order to let me use the same disk also for other things in other subfolders.
Then I've tried to backup an LXC container to PBS and it failed due to permission issues. I've used the cli and created the ct folder within the /mnt/pve/sata_backup/pbs_backups folder with backup:backup owner:group and 755 permissions and then everything worked as expected.
The problem was that the PBS container wasn't allowed to create the folder within pbs_backups, so I've changed the permission to that folder later on (with the right ownership and permissions on the pbs_backups folder it would have not been necessary to create the ct folder by hand)

Bash:
root@pve:/mnt/pve/sata_disk# chmod 755 pbs_backups                                                                                                                                                       
root@pve:/mnt/pve/sata_disk# ls -l                                                                                                                                                                       
total 20                                                                                                                                                                                                 
drwx------ 2 root   root   16384 Nov 14 18:58 lost+found                                                                                                                                                 
drwxr-xr-x 5 backup backup  4096 Nov 16 22:59 pbs_backups

root@pve:/mnt/pve/sata_disk# grep pbs_backup /etc/pve/lxc/101.conf
mp1: /mnt/pve/sata_disk/pbs_backups,mp=/pbs_backups

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!