[Feature Request] URL option in Create VM dialog box

ShiftCTRL

Apr 14, 2018
NYC
@proxmox Dev,

First and foremost to every contributor - Thank You!
I genuinely believe proxmox has so much potential to evolve into the AWS-of-tomorrow, that I'm sticking with it for all my projects, I digress.

To the point. I have a relatively simple Feature Request which would allow the user to enter a URL in the Create VM dialog box shown below.

Screenshot-from-2019-05-02-12-07-58.png

It would basically simply parse the input for URLs and download it in to the proper folder if it's an ISO or any other acceptable file type.

The current "ISO image" field name may be renamed to reflect the change "ISO image/url" possibly.

BASH Script:
Below you'll find a really simple script I wrote to basically do this from the CLI.

I have this function running in my .zshrc file so I may call it as needed.
The script tests for if the URL provided is accessible and an .iso file. If so, the file will be downloaded in to the templates iso folder. You can check your local storage and it should show up there.

Code:
#!/bin/bash

# Function to fetch an ISO from URL
function get-iso () {
     if wget --spider -A .iso ${1}; then
         wget -A .iso ${1} -P /var/lib/vz/template/iso/;
     else
         echo "File does not exist";
     fi
};

# Un-comment the line below if using it as a script file.
#get-iso "$1";

Example: Calling the function from the CLI to download bionic server
Code:
$ get-iso http://releases.ubuntu.com/18.04.2/ubuntu-18.04.2-live-server-amd64.iso

Last edited:
Please open an enhancement request at https://bugzilla.proxmox.com (having the discussion there makes it easier for us to track the requests and thus it's more likely to get implemented)

Thanks!

Please open an enhancement request at https://bugzilla.proxmox.com (having the discussion there makes it easier for us to track the requests and thus it's more likely to get implemented)

Thanks!

Thanks for the tip, I'll do that right away.

I was searching for a Features Request topic though wasn't able to find one, hence why I posted it here.
Hopefully the script may help someone someday if nothing else.

or better yet, just have a remote image option. will file an enhancement request.

I don't believe your request is mutually exclusive.

If by "remote image" you mean to say that a file is hosted elsewhere and depending on a stable network connection to create the machine, I'm not sure how that would help anyone. If your objective is to free up space, you can easily add a "delete iso after completion" option. The full image should be on your disk prior to creation.

Or maybe I'm not understanding your point.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!