Feature Request: PVE Backup

sachz

Jan 18, 2022
Hi,

I'm a long time user of Proxmox ve and Proxmox backup server since it came out.

Currently I'm optimising my backup setup, and I was wondering how hard it would be to add some additional logic to the backups.
It would be very handy to have the following options added to the mix:
  • Exclude pool(s) from backup (ability to select multiple pools)
  • Include pool(s) in backup (ability to select multiple pools)
  • option to exclude VM's / LXC's that aren't running
  • Allow VM's / LXC's to be a member of multiple pools
  • Allow for multiple simultanious backups when they don't overlap
  • Allow for retry of vm/lxc backup in case it timed out or failed at the end of the backup before stopping the backup job.
  • Pool feature on a node level with the same options as mentioned in the first 2 bullet points
Working in IT myself and having used multiple commercial products, these are features that I am kind of missing in the Proxmox ecosystem.

I'm sorry if there are recurring questions here, I did a general search but didn't really find the info I was looking for.

Pools are also used for permissions. How would that work if a VM is a member of multiple pools?
Depends how you organise your pools.
You could see it like a group membership and create multiple pools depending on what they're used for.
This can be solved with naming conventions like a prefix to differenciate between the different functions of the pools.

I'm not trying to impose extra limits on the pools, rather expand their use and usecases so administrators can have a more flexible way of implementing their backup and DR strategies.

Since the pools are basically exclusive membership groups, I'd go with removing the exclusivity.
Automation setups could also benefit from a more flexible membership setup for operations based on managed or unmanaged vm's for example.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!