Feature request: Hibernate VMs on PVE host reboot

@Radek Kantor or anyone else it could help, I'm using the following script to automate the process:

Code:
# suspend_and_shutdown.sh
qm list | grep running | awk -F'[^0-9]*' '$0=$2' | while read -r vm_id; do qm suspend $vm_id --todisk 1; done; shutdown -h now

# suspend_and_reboot.sh
qm list | grep running | awk -F'[^0-9]*' '$0=$2' | while read -r vm_id; do qm suspend $vm_id --todisk 1; done; reboot

I'm quite happy with my scripts, although I would still appreciate this being built in.

Hi,

Here is my solution to hibernate all VMs at reboot or shutdown !
It works for me. Thanks to @davidand for his script example :)

Go in proxmox shell, you need to be root !

vi /etc/init.d/proxmox

Add this :

Bash:
#!/bin/sh
case "$1" in
start)
   qm list | awk -F'[^0-9]*' '$0=$2' | while read -r vm_id; do qm unlock $vm_id; done;
;;
stop)
   qm list | grep running | awk -F'[^0-9]*' '$0=$2' | while read -r vm_id; do qm suspend $vm_id --todisk 1; done;
   sleep 10
;;
esac
exit 0

chmod 755 /etc/init.d/proxmox

ln -s /etc/init.d/proxmox /etc/rc3.d/S99proxmox
ln -s /etc/init.d/proxmox /etc/rc0.d/K99proxmox
ln -s /etc/init.d/proxmox /etc/rc6.d/K99proxmox

systemctl daemon-reload
systemctl start proxmox

Don't forget to add autostart option in proxmox to the VMs that have to boot on start.

Enjoy ! :)

You can reboot or shutown your server from :
- Physical buttons
- Proxmox Gui buttons
- in shell : restart now / shutdow now

Hi,

vi /etc/init.d/proxmox

Add this :

Bash:
#!/bin/sh
case "$1" in
start)
   qm list | awk -F'[^0-9]*' '$0=$2' | while read -r vm_id; do qm unlock $vm_id; done;
;;
stop)
   qm list | grep running | awk -F'[^0-9]*' '$0=$2' | while read -r vm_id; do qm suspend $vm_id --todisk 1; done;
   sleep 10
;;
esac
exit 0

systemctl daemon-reload
systemctl start proxmox

Don't forget to add autostart option in proxmox to the VMs that have to boot on start.

- Physical buttons
- Proxmox Gui buttons
Will this replace the current/standard Proxmox behavior of shutting down the VMs when doing a reboot? Thank you!

Hi,

vi /etc/init.d/proxmox

Add this :

Bash:
#!/bin/sh
case "$1" in
start)
;;
stop)
   sleep 10
;;
esac
exit 0

systemctl daemon-reload
systemctl start proxmox

- Physical buttons
- Proxmox Gui buttons
Hi Lion,
i just tried the script of @davidand , and i think in principle it is working - but I have one problem.
The shutdown of the host process still commands the VMs to shut down in parallel to the hibernate command of the script.
So only the first of my 5 VMs actually will hibernate (the shutdown command for this VM is still issued, but comes to late)
while the other 4 VMs begin their shutdown process before their hibernate commands are issued.
Is there a way to prevent the shutdown commands for the VMs when the host shutdown command is issued ??
If so I couldn't find that.
thx for help.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!