Failed ZFS import at system startup

glassman

Oct 11, 2022
I'll keep this simple as I can as I'm not to familiar with ZFS pools in general. So, I noticed that when I had my Proxmox server hooked up to a display, I received a message at boot complaining about some sort of zfs import failure regarding my "lxc" pool. Sure enough, I check in my syslogs with journalctl | grep -i zfs-import, and apparently I've been receive this message a few weeks, whenever the Proxmox host is rebooted:

Code:
Jul 04 17:40:25 pve systemd[1]: Failed to start zfs-import@lxc.service - Import ZFS pool lxc.

I believe this message may have started after my upgrade from 7.4 to 8. The most I've been able to do is find the service in question at /etc/systemd/system/zfs-import.target.wants/zfs-import@lxc.service, but then viewing it's symlinked parent didn't end up helping me at all. Is this something someone has seen before, and what can I do to possibly fix it? I can provide more info, but at the moment, I'm just not too sure what may be relevant.

Last edited:
Does the pool: lxc get imported correctly as expected or not?
If it does, there is nothing that has to be fixed:
yes exactly zfs-import@.service was introduced to make sure that pools added via GUI are indeed imported during boot (we had quite some reports from systems where the zpool.cache file was empty/corrupted - and that seemed like a way to address that)
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/z...ppears-to-be-imported-after.84784/post-372694

The pool simply got already imported before by another service, e.g. via cache file...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!