Fail2ban on PBS GUI

Wiwi

Jun 4, 2021
Hello people !
I'm trying to setup Fail2ban for the GUI of my Proxmox Backup Server

I'm running PBS over a Debian 10 on a VPS
I set up Fail2ban on ssh, tested and working well

For PBS GUI, I copied files like on the Github here : https://github.com/inettgmbh/fail2ban-proxmox-backup-server

Everything looks ok, i have 2 jail exactly like on the github, but I cannot be ban from the GUI
I guess I miss something ? or it's because I run PBS over a Debian ?

I couldn't find that much info on that, there is no wiki for Fail2ban and PBS (or I didn't find it...)

Thanks for helping !

Fail2Ban runs on Debian as welly doesn't it? You maybe have an exception defined for private addresses.

Fail2Ban runs on Debian as welly doesn't it? You maybe have an exception defined for private addresses.
Hi phox !
Yes Fail2ban works well on Debian, I already use it for ssh connexion.
I tested it by connecting from a VPN and try to be ban, after 3 fail, I'm banned. So , all good on that.

I'm doing all my test from internet with VPN, I don't want to ban my home adress ;) .
So it's not a private address exception problem.

Just more clarification (I'm not sure if I explain well...)
I have a VPS independant from my production servers (no VPN, no private address) in an diferent host provider, running Debian 10 with some basic firewall rules.
I only allow only :
- SSH on a random port
- PBS on 8007
- DNS port 53

I setup Fail2ban over ssh connexion, tested from internent with a VPN. I'm banned after 3 fail connexion.
I tried to setup Fail2ban on the PBS GUI like on the github, but doesn't work.

I'm quiet new on Proxmox and Linux distribution in general, i only have the very basic knoweldge...

I guess the filter rule doesn't trigger. I'd suggest to perform a failing login and check the respective log file. Maybe there were some changes since those guys wrote the filter rule.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!