Extend LVM of Ceph DB/WAL Disk

mihanson

Nov 1, 2018
I have a 3 node Ceph cluster running Proxmox 7.2. Each node has 4 x HDD OSDs and the 4 OSDs share an Intel Enterprise SSD for the Ceph OSD database (DB/WAL) on each node. I am going to be adding a 5th OSD HDD to each node and also add an additional Intel Enterprise SSD on each node for use with the Ceph OSD database. Is it advisable to extend the LVM of the first Ceph OSD DB to include the new SSD, creating one large SSD-backed Ceph OSD DB consisting of 2 x SSD? Is it safer to have the two Ceph OSD DB drives as two discreet LVMs that do not share resources? My gut says to keep them separate, but I wanted to check to see if there is an advantage to extending the existing OSD DB LVM.

Thank you!
Mike

You have to keep in mind that if the SSD with the Ceph DB fails, then all the OSDs managed by it also fail. So in order to keep the number of failed OSDs to a minimum, you should use several DB-disks and keep the number of OSDs managed per DB-disk low (I think recommended was max of 4-5 per DB-disk).

Also extending the DB LVM to a second disk increases the risk of failure, since now the DB will be unavailiable if any of those two disks fail.

So I would not extend the LVM but add a second DB.

Also extending the DB LVM to a second disk increases the risk of failure, since now the DB will be unavailiable if any of those two disks fail.
This was my "gut" thinking as well. If you lose one drive in a DB LVM, you lose the entire DB and hence, you lose all the data on the OSD drives.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!