Enabling Spice

K

Kevin Daly

I read in a forum post that the Spice Protocol is in testing. Is there any way to enable this? We are building a test cluster and enabling something that's not 100% should be fine as we are testing functionality and would like to test Spice to see if it works as our remote client strategy.

By the way Proxmox is a great product.. Keep up the good work.

the authentication (with spice) is still not implemented.

Any timelines as when this would be implemented? This would make selling proxmox commercial to my company a lot easier..

QXL is the killer feature in KVM Virtualization as far as we are concerned. We would be looking to Virtualize a bunch of desktops.

I just wanted to drop in here and show my support for this feature also. We're currently exploring spice and would love to be able to use spice guests on Proxmox.

I just wanted to drop in here and show my support for this feature also. We're currently exploring spice and would love to be able to use spice guests on Proxmox.

Another person that would love to have Spice with Proxmox.

also +1.

Btw, given we're almost 6 months later, what is the status of SPICE or QXL ? Can it be enabled (without authentication) to test in a lab enviroment?

Many thanks!

Bump
Any updates on spice support for proxmox?

In my case i replaced PVE for centos and Fedora as host in a couple of machines to enable spice support for testing about 4 months ago.
Now i cant go back to PVE, i really Love spice terminals for virtualized servers and desktops.

I use clients in both windows and linux and in my opinion it, runs circles around vnc.

So I noticed that there is support for SPICE in the current kvm binary. I'm close to adding the correct display adapter QXL to the admin interface. I've already tested this in Debian Sid but having weird problems with KVM inside KVM, emulation worked okay.

I'm at the part where I'm trying to get the settings to save in the admin interface but it will fail with a validation error saying that

vga: value 'qxl' does not have a value in the enumeration 'std, cirrus, vmware'

I've patched QemuServer.pm to include enum => [qw(std cirrus vmware qxl)], which I thought it all I needed, but apparently I'm missing something. Suggestions from the developers?

Got it to validate, but the KVM that I'm using actually doesn't support Spice.

Code:
kvm: -spice port=5930,disable-ticketing: There is no option group 'spice'

spice is not supported by this qemu build.

I'll try and update to the latest PVE version and see where I get.

the message tells all - spice is not enabled in Proxmox VE.

Basic spice support is already available in our git repo, packages will follow.

Has anyone managed to get spice client and remote-viewer working on ubuntu? I have compiled remote-viewer 0.5.7 from spice project site but I cannot get firefox,chromium to open spiceproxy file.

Has anyone managed to get spice client and remote-viewer working on ubuntu? I have compiled remote-viewer 0.5.7 from spice project site but I cannot get firefox,chromium to open spiceproxy file.

for firefox, you need to configure firefox to always open application/x-virt-viewer mime type file. (firefox use an internal mime database)

for chrome, it should use system mime , you should have a file x-virt-viewer.xml in /usr/share/mime/application/x-virt-viewer.xml (it's provided with remote-viewer sources)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!