Enabling Spice

for firefox, you need to configure firefox to always open application/x-virt-viewer mime type file. (firefox use an internal mime database)

for chrome, it should use system mime , you should have a file x-virt-viewer.xml in /usr/share/mime/application/x-virt-viewer.xml (it's provided with remote-viewer sources)

I am having the same problem as the OP. I cannot get SPICE to work whatsoever on linux.

I am running ubuntu 13.10 x86_64 with virt-viewer 0.5.6 installed.

Clicking SPICE button when using Chrome, firefox, opera -- does nothing. No download - nothing.

I see no instructions anywhere that explains how to actually add the mime type to firefox. Spirit mentioned above a file '/usr/share/mime/application/x-virt-viewer.xml' that does not exist on my 13.10 Ubuntu install with virt-viewer installed.

libvirtd doesnt appear to be an available service in /etc/init.d or elsewhere that I can tell. But I dont know whats required other than virt-viewer 0.5.6 to get any of this working.

Can anyone help? Any suggests for any linux distro that works? guides or otherwise?

Ubuntu 13.10 with firefox and virt-viewer installed works out of the box here.

as soon as you open a console via Proxmox VE gui, you will get this:

virt-viewer-firefox-ubuntu.png

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!