[SOLVED] Easiest GPU for PCIe passthrough

vale.maio2

Feb 4, 2022
Hello all, if the title seems something like a newbie would ask, it's because it is...
I'm in need to add a graphics card to my ProxMox 7.2-11 installation, so I can pass it to a Windows 10 VM. It doesn't need to be anything special, I simply need OpenGL support for a few programs running under W10 (the most important one being Ultimaker Cura 5.1.1); the bare metal should be able to accept anything I throw at it (Dell T710), so that shouldn't be an issue.

Having said that, would anyone please have suggestions on a graphics card that would increase my chances of success? Again, not looking for the latest and greatest; if it were Windows 10 on a desktop PC, I would use something like a GTX 650Ti.

Thank you all.

TL;DR: Got an Nvidia GT710, worked just fine. Any Nvidia GPU supporting driver 465.89 or newer should work.

Last edited:
The main problem I encountered is not only the PCEe card, it's the rest of the system that may have problems with passthrough in general. Newer cards work better and also more expensive cards.

Reactions: leesteken
I've actually remembered that I have a GT9500 at home. Quite ancient I know, but it was there already, so I'll try it following the PCI passthrough guide on the PVE website, and see if that works. If it doesn't I'll try a GT730, given the low price.

Also try to shutdown the VM and then start it again without doing a host reboot in between to verify that the GPU resets properly.

Reactions: leesteken
I use GT 730 ddr5 version no problems. I pass through two of them.
Can I ask you, is your VM running Windows or any Linux flavour? I'd you're running Windows, did you have any issues getting it to recognize it without the dreaded error 43?

Got a GT710 that runs fine. But I wouldn't recommend it for anything other than getting a HMDI output and hardware accelerated video decoding. But for that it runs great (except it can't decode codecs newer than h264) with low power consumption and fitting in any case (1x slot, low profile, single slot, passive)

Last edited:
Got a GT710 that runs fine. But I wouldn't recommend it for anything other than getting a HMDI output and hardware accelerated video decoding. But for that it runs great (except it can't decode codecs newer than h264) with low power consumption and fitting in any case (1x slot, low profile, single slot, passive)
Is that on a Windows or Linux VM?

The whole Quadro lineup are dedicated for vm since long time as fully compliant with vmware.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've now got a GT710, it gets recognized just fine, and OpenGL programs open without any issues. I could also have gone for a Quadro K2000D which sells for £27. It seems to boil down to what driver version the GPU supports; apparently, Nvidia unlocked VM support for the home market GPUs on driver version 465.89, so in theory anything supporting that driver or newer should work fine in passthrough.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!