drbdmanage license change

I do not get your point. DRBD9 plugin if offered by linbit.com, why don´t you just use it?
This is the point.. Linbit doesnt offer a Proxmox 4.4 compatible version yet.. why? because they are not expert in proxmox and dont want to spend so much time creating a compatible version... there is where you should be appearing to provide a fast update. You are interested we use proxmox and not OpenStack..

This is the point.. Linbit doesnt offer a Proxmox 4.4 compatible version yet.. why? ...

Their plugin is fully compatible with current Proxmox VE 4.x.

I
Their plugin is fully compatible with current Proxmox VE 4.x.

I really hope you are right... I really do..
Althought its a no-brainer Linbit won't put much resources keeping their code working with proxmox..
I would like to be DRDB9 added in proxmox panel.. it looks that wont happen..

I

I really hope you are right... I really do..
Althought its a no-brainer Linbit won't put much resources keeping their code working with proxmox..
I would like to be DRDB9 added in proxmox panel.. it looks that wont happen..

Install the software and and you can use it, its in the Proxmox VE gui. So what is your real problem?

I have installed a 3 node proxmox 4.4 with DRDB9 and have to do A LOT OF WORK on the CLI. CEPH is far more included in the GUI. Just say it doesnt look that you are whilling to support it the future.. but I hope you will.

I have installed a 3 node proxmox 4.4 with DRDB9 and have to do A LOT OF WORK on the CLI. CEPH is far more included in the GUI. Just say it doesnt look that you are whilling to support it the future.. but I hope you will.

The DRBD plugin is a product developed and maintained by Linbit. If you miss something, request it there.

Hi together
I think you aren't talking from same issue. Tom has right concerning the plugin for current version. It's working because Linbit took it from Proxmox's repo just as is.

But for mid and long term I support Titux's statement. Linbit has no interest develop the plugin in future. We risk that a change of Proxmox PVE will not be adapted in Linbit's plugin in time because there is no coordination. Further Titux is right we see it today already, Ceph is fully integrated without to know bash commands. I hoped also that Proxmox will have a GUI guided cluster management plugin sometime (like init, show status, add/remove node, assign resources to node etc.) like OpenStack provides it. This hope has died with this responsibility assignment for the plugin.

Most users calculate risks/chances and they must have a good feeling for future support and development. Sorry for saying that Tom, but discussions like pve/drbd9 for months now isn't good for users nerves (even it was caused by Linbit). But anyway I want to thank you.

That's logically because would you develop (not only maintain) a plugin for another software component which isn't from Proxmox? Shall Linbit or Ceph project provides PVE GUI pages to manage their cluster? This isn't realistic.

My experience for best practice is a well documented API (for example AGI in PBX Asterisk to control Asterisk from external applications) functions. In case of DRBD DRBDManage could be such an API. In larger projects with business critical applications we wrote APIs with versions in which always minium two were active. This gave connected applications time to change the version (and new functionality) in their release cycles.

But no worry, it's ok for me. I will observe the future development and I will always wait some time before updating releases.

That's logically because would you develop (not only maintain) a plugin for another software component which isn't from Proxmox? Shall Linbit or Ceph project provides PVE GUI pages to manage their cluster? This isn't realistic.

Linbit provides the plugin for Proxmox or for Openstack, they also maintain a public repository for Proxmox VE.

My experience for best practice is a well documented API (for example AGI in PBX Asterisk to control Asterisk from external applications) functions. In case of DRBD DRBDManage could be such an API. In larger projects with business critical applications we wrote APIs with versions in which always minium two were active. This gave connected applications time to change the version (and new functionality) in their release cycles.

But no worry, it's ok for me. I will observe the future development and I will always wait some time before updating releases.

Proxmox VE has a well defined way to plugin third party storage's. This is not only for DRBD9, this is also use to connect other commercial storage technologies. The Proxmox VE core team cannot maintain all storage technologies available (as there are hundreds of vendors), so we focus on the most important Open Source technologies and we have a well defined way to connect others.

Reactions: jeffwadsworth
Sorry for bringing back this post, but I have a quick question. I understand that Linbit is now responsible for maintaining the storage plugin, but what about GUI integration in things like snapshots for example? Does PVE team have any plans integrating that to the GUI? I have also noticed that the restore of a vzbackup to a DRBD9 resource via the GUI is failing as well (and it's reproducible). Who's job is to fix this? (if any..).

Thanks

Allt his
Sorry for bringing back this post, but I have a quick question. I understand that Linbit is now responsible for maintaining the storage plugin, but what about GUI integration in things like snapshots for example? Does PVE team have any plans integrating that to the GUI? I have also noticed that the restore of a vzbackup to a DRBD9 resource via the GUI is failing as well (and it's reproducible). Who's job is to fix this? (if any..).

Thanks

the storage plugin includes all this - if you have issues with the storage plugin from Linbit, you need to contact Linbit. they can give advice, they can fix it if needed.

I don't understand why DRBD 9 is not included anymore in Proxmox as Linbit has reverted drbdmanage licence to GPL (see DBDB MANAGE FAQ on the Linbit news) The DRBD9 wiki page could be back again too.

I don't understand why DRBD 9 is not included anymore in Proxmox as Linbit has reverted drbdmanage licence to GPL (see DBDB MANAGE FAQ on the Linbit news) The DRBD9 wiki page could be back again too.
I second this request, did not know about that change (dated 20 Jenary 2017)!
https://www.linbit.com/en/drbd-manage-faq/
So far I've found no replacement for 2 storage node + quorum node configuration that is possible with drbd9, so I think it's very important for we all with small requirements and budgets.

So far I've found no replacement for 2 storage node + quorum node configuration that is possible with drbd9, so I think it's very important for we all with small requirements and budgets.
Hi,
why not? I have running this configuration at home (in some cases drbd9 makes trouble).
It's makes much more sense to use DRBD8 for this - which should be possible with pve5!

Due the upcomming pve5 I see no issues for old installations with drbd-ressources between two nodes.

Udo

Hi,
why not? I have running this configuration at home (in some cases drbd9 makes trouble).
It's makes much more sense to use DRBD8 for this - which should be possible with pve5!

Due the upcomming pve5 I see no issues for old installations with drbd-ressources between two nodes.

Udo
AFAIK drbd9 has less isuses with split brain, and the "best practice" to avoit with drbd8, have half the storage used by one node for it's VMs and the other half for the other node, is really a waste of space (2X) and a restriction of flexibility (i.e. I've a slower node that is good if usually runs only some VMs but must be capable of runn all the VMs if the first node has troubles).
DRBD9 was removed from proxmox due to license problems, now the license problems are no more present, so seems the logical step to take.

I complain on right place. You removed DRBD by changing licence from GPL to another. Now is licence back to GPL and users ask why is not DRBD back in Proxmox. Because is better for administrate, support, actual updates/upgrades etc. Plugin is 3rd party workaround how get DRBD back to Proxmox, but is not native support.

I complain on right place. You removed DRBD by changing licence from GPL to another. Now is licence back to GPL and users ask why is not DRBD back in Proxmox. Because is better for administrate, support, actual updates/upgrades etc. Plugin is 3rd party workaround how get DRBD back to Proxmox, but is not native support.

The creators of DRBD (Linbit) requested to maintain their plugin by their own.

Basically the DRBD creators are known to know their DRBD code quite well, so you will not get any better place for DRBD support, so please contact them.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!