Does Proxmox need fast storage?

decibel83

Renowned Member
Oct 15, 2008
Hi,
I have a simple question which I would like to share with because I’m interested in you point of view.

On a Proxmox server I have fast storage (SSDs or NVMe) and slow storage (SAS or SATA).

My fast choice could be to install Proxmox on fast storage and use it also for storing virtual machines which needs fast data access, but my question is: does Proxmox really need to be installed on fast storage?

I mean: what if I install it on slow storage and use the fast one only for virtual machines? As end users only use virtual machines, how much their performance will be positively or negatively impacted by the speed of the storage on which the hypervisor was installed?

Thanks for your comments!

Proxmox not need high speed storage ( only use swap are on high speed storage or use zram instead of disk swap if you have enought CPU power..) Also please do not foget, Proxmox was use Debian with Linux core that means core will be upload to RAM at start time... So Proxmox use disk for LOG record and for WEB UI other all basic text read and writeor SYNC with cluster but not need more more random IO ...

With your other disk group if you have enough RAM you can use ZFS SAS Raid Group+NVME Cache and ZFS SATA Raid Group+NVME Cache if not, use LVM SAS Raid Group+NVME Cache and LVM SATA Raid Group+NVME Cache . On ZFS all random write or metasearch request response on RAM Cache because of that NVME will response only Random Read Request, on LVM Cache responsable for Random Read and Wirete request..

And do not forget, Virtualization means Random request :D..

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!