Docker not working on Alpine Linux LXC

Nico94

Nov 27, 2018
Hello,

I would like to manage docker work on an alpine LXC container. I can not launch any image.

docker: Error response from daemon: OCI runtime create failed: container_linux.go:348: starting container process caused "process_linux.go:402: container init caused \"rootfs_linux.go:58: mounting \\\"proc\\\" to rootfs \\\"/var/lib/docker/100.65533/vfs/dir/ff1506e90a08d727c241ee77f21d9f5dc51803c814351276a832be49a3f8d548\\\" at \\\"/proc\\\" caused \\\"operation not permitted\\\"\"": unknown.

I did not encounter this problem with the Ubuntu or Debian containers. Someone has a solution?
Nico

Unfortunately I don't. I also tried to debug the issue with Docker and Alpine Linux a few month back and decided for myself just to go with the Debian solution and never went back.
Hi LnxBil, thank you for your feedback. It's a damage, I understand that Alpine Linux has become or will be the default Docker environment.

Just for the sake of completeness. I still don't recommend running Docker in anything else than a VM, but if you really need to, this one way to get it to work.

I just found a solution that works with Alpine Linux. In addition to the well known changes to the configuration like

Code:
lxc.apparmor.profile: unconfined
lxc.cgroup.devices.allow: a
lxc.cap.drop:

you also have to add this script according to this blog post:

Code:
cat > /etc/init.d/cgroups-patch <<EOF
#!/sbin/openrc-run

description="Mount the control groups for Docker"

depend()
{
    keyword -docker
    need sysfs cgroups
}

start()
{
    if [ -d /sys/fs/cgroup ]; then
        mkdir -p /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu,cpuacct
        mkdir -p /sys/fs/cgroup/net_cls,net_prio

mount -n -t cgroup cgroup /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu,cpuacct -o rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpu,cpuacct
        mount -n -t cgroup cgroup /sys/fs/cgroup/net_cls,net_prio -o rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,net_cls,net_prio

if ! mountinfo -q /sys/fs/cgroup/openrc; then
            local agent="${RC_LIBEXECDIR}/sh/cgroup-release-agent.sh"
            mkdir -p /sys/fs/cgroup/openrc
            mount -n -t cgroup -o none,nodev,noexec,nosuid,name=systemd,release_agent="$agent" openrc /sys/fs/cgroup/openrc
        fi
    fi

return 0
}
EOF

chmod +x /etc/init.d/cgroups-patch
rc-update add cgroups-patch boot

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!