Do I configure Email Notifications on PBS the same way I do on PVE?

wh33t

Jan 7, 2023
I realize that my node-cluster will now email me when backups are done, but I'd also like to PBS to be able to send me emails as well, such as if the ZFS pool on PBS is struggling or something.

So can I go about installing sasl and mailutils on PBS? Or is there another route? Or is this not even necessary if PBS is part of a cluster that is capable of sending emails?

So can I go about installing sasl and mailutils on PBS? Or is there another route? Or is this not even necessary if PBS is part of a cluster that is capable of sending emails?
Yes, you need to configure Email "somehow". (There are many ways to do that.) I run PBS on debian bullseye - the same type of OS the PVE nodes use. So the very same configuration that I use on PVE does work for PBS. The default is to use postfix.

PBS can not join a PVE cluster natively. Usually it runs on independent hardware. PBS will not facilitate email sending capabilities of a PVE cluster.

But if you installed PBS side-by-side natively on a PVE node it is different: the host needs to "learn" to send emails once. Then PVE and also PBS will use the same mechanism.

Does this help?

Reactions: wh33t
Yes it does thank you.

I'm surprised I can't just setup email notifications once at the datacenter level and then have all the connected nodes and their VM/CT's (including PBS) send the notifications to the Datacenter to send the emails. It would make the monitoring of the cluster and it's services so so so much simpler. I guess there is Prometheus and things like that but it'd be nice to have basic monitoring for critical things built right in and easy to configure through the GUI.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!