Disk partitioning

Pheggas

May 8, 2022
Hello. A while ago, when i set up proxmox on my HP ProDesk 400 G4 Mini (https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06047054), i specified the HDSIZE on installation. I thought the 50 GBs from my 256 gb SSD would be enough and the rest of the space i would use for VMs. Now i'd like to resize the local-lvm storage and give it rest of the space (so circa 220 GB at total will have the local-lvm). However, i found somewhere it is really dangerous to work with these tools to resize the partition.

So i did the lsblk command with this output:
Code:
NAME                 MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda                    8:0    0 223.6G  0 disk
└─sda1                 8:1    0 223.6G  0 part /mnt/SSD
nvme0n1              259:0    0 238.5G  0 disk
├─nvme0n1p1          259:1    0  1007K  0 part
├─nvme0n1p2          259:2    0   512M  0 part /boot/efi
└─nvme0n1p3          259:3    0  49.5G  0 part
  ├─pve-swap         253:0    0   6.1G  0 lvm  [SWAP]
  ├─pve-root         253:1    0  12.3G  0 lvm  /
  ├─pve-data_tmeta   253:2    0     4G  0 lvm 
  │ └─pve-data-tpool 253:4    0  23.1G  0 lvm 
  │   └─pve-data     253:5    0  23.1G  1 lvm 
  └─pve-data_tdata   253:3    0  23.1G  0 lvm 
    └─pve-data-tpool 253:4    0  23.1G  0 lvm 
      └─pve-data     253:5    0  23.1G  1 lvm

So if i understand it the right way, i would need to resize pve-data-tdata partition. Is there any easy and safe way to do it without reformatting it?

I would also increase the size of pve-root a bit. 12GB can be fine but keep in mind that PVE will grow over time if you don't always manually delete log files and so on. I would atleast use something between 16GB and 32GB there.

And see here: https://github.com/proxmox/pve-docs/blob/master/local-lvm.adoc

Resizing the thin pool​

Resize the LV and the metadata pool can be achieved with the following command.
# lvresize --size +<size[\M,G,T]> --poolmetadatasize +<size[\M,G]> <VG>/<LVThin_pool>
NoteWhen extending the data pool, the metadata pool must also be extended.

I would also increase the size of pve-root a bit. 12GB can be fine but keep in mind that PVE will grow over time if you don't always manually delete log files and so on. I would atleast use something between 16GB and 32GB there.

And see here: https://github.com/proxmox/pve-docs/blob/master/local-lvm.adoc
Thank you. Firstly i would resize the pve-root by using lvresize --size +4G /dev/pve/root (is it right?) and then i would need to give all of the rest free space to the data. I don't know where is that data partition as in /dev/pve/ is only root and swap. But i think i should use lvresize -l 100%FREE /path/to/data ?

Edit: Found this lvresize -l +100%FREE pve/data

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!