DigitalOcean proxmox network issue

Jake03x

May 8, 2021
I'm very new to proxmox, but was able to install it in my digitalocean droplet. I have been following different guides but keep getting stuck on this one part, that I can't figure out how to fix. On the guide it mentions to create a 'linux bridge' in order for the VM's to have internet access. So I go to create it and it's popping up these errors:

Parameter verification failed. (400) gateway: Default gateway already exists on interface 'eth0'.

I have bridge port set too: enp0s25
name of it as: vmbr0
IPv4/CIDR: Don't know what to put here
Gateway (IPv4): Don't know what to put here either

I tried different things like the servers main IP and that doesn't work. I know that the server has a Eth0 and Eth1 if that helps. So, I'm completely lost in what to do to get it to work. Not even sure if it's meant on a server like that or what's going on. I don't know much on setting up the network for it, and can't find examples of someone doing what I'm doing on a server like this.

It looks mostly setup besides the networking issues. Just seeing if someone can help me figure this out, cause I have no clue what to do next.

Maybe the section Proxmox VE server at hosting provider, with a single public IP address in the manual can give some hints? You probably need to setup Masquerading/NAT, instead of a simple bridge, because you have only a single IPv4 address.

Reactions: Jake03x
I'll take a look at it and read it through. I think yesterday I looked at it as well, but it was so much information....I was completely lost. I was reading today that someone was saying it wasn't possible to run it on Digital Ocean (The actual virtualization). Even if it isn't, I'll still need to know that as it seems crucial for everything to run. Thank you.

I run a Proxmox inside a KVM VPS as well (which happens to support nested virtualization), and especially containers work very well. Let me show you my /etc/network/interfaces based on that chapter of the manual (after installing Proxmox on top of Debian):
Bash:
auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback
# IP address and gateway provided by hosting company; your device might be different from eth0
auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet static
    address x.y.z.w
    gateway x.y.z.1
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    dns-nameservers 1.1.1.1
# Create a bridge with NAT forwarding from a private subnet (just an example that should work)
auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
    address 192.168.175.1
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    bridge-ports none
    bridge-stp off
    bridge-fd 0
    post-up echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
    post-up iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s '192.168.175.0/24' -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE
    post-up iptables -t raw -I PREROUTING -i fwbr+ -j CT --zone 1
    post-down iptables -t raw -D PREROUTING -i fwbr+ -j CT --zone 1
    post-down iptables -t nat -D POSTROUTING -s '192.168.175.0/24' -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE

Wow, thank you! I just got my Proxmox installed again on Debian 10 so, Hopefully it goes a lot smoother. Do you have any good recommendations for VPS hosting companies? I think once I get this setup correctly, I want to switch to that. (Preferably in the U.S.)

According to LowEndTalk, I got lucky with the nested kvm support. If this a feature you require, please investigate various hosters yourself. Make sure to rent enough vCPUs and memory for running VMs and to not max-out the resources you share with others.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!