Dell r720xd 2u 72tb raid5 storage help

rayhan17c

Mar 3, 2020
Hi guys, I have installed Proxmox on my dell 720xd and used an ssd drive for installation. Now I have 12*6tb drive on my server and already setup hardware raid5 now how do I use the HDD on Proxmox? I want to create a KVM VM which will be used to host big files such as videos. I tried making the HDD ext4 and then mounting but this way I can't assign more than 16tb on guest os. What would be a good solution in my case considering the files that I am going to host on the guest VM will be accessed using 10g Lan. So the read/write speed is very important here.
Thank you

F
can you please output of the following

fdisk -l
lvs
vgs
pvs

Attached. vgs and pvs showing 40tb because I just now configured the 60tb raid as lvm and assigned a 20tb hdd on guest VM. is it good enough to use lvm in my case? what would be the performance? Or should I look for an alternative option? what are the best practices in this type of scenario? Thank you so much for your help.

Attachments

• pvs.png
    pvs.png
    73.3 KB · Views: 4
  • vgs.png
    vgs.png
    69.7 KB · Views: 4
  • lvs.png
    lvs.png
    161.6 KB · Views: 3
  • fdisk -l .png
    fdisk -l .png
    911 KB · Views: 4
You have 60TB second drive (/dev/sdb), you can mount that drive as local storage (in /etc/fstab), make sure to create a file system using command mkfs.ext4 /dev/sdb
or you can configure LVM on top of second storage
and then configure /etc/pve/storage.cfg to use the storage

You have 60TB second drive (/dev/sdb), you can mount that drive as local storage (in /etc/fstab), make sure to create a file system using command mkfs.ext4 /dev/sdb
or you can configure LVM on top of second storage
and then configure /etc/pve/storage.cfg to use the storage
yes I am using lvm now.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!