Debian Guest Stuck On "Booting From Hard Disk"

Itamar Shpak

May 13, 2018
Hey All !
we have guest machine with Debian installed, everytime we are rebooting from inside the guest (running reboot command from cli), the machine stuck on "Booting from hard disk".
For now we solve it by ssh into the Proxmox host and run - qm stop machine_id
and after it - qm start machine_id.
also rebooting from machine and later trying shutting down the machine from the web gui is not successful.
any ideas ?
virtual environment - 5.0-5

I am getting the issue in hard disk and also getting the error code 0x3e9(1001) in my system. I also try on fix error code 0x3e9(1001) for the help purpose but did not get any response.

Hi,
Came across this page as I was trying to resolve the same problem as well, where Debian 9 fail to boot up.

My VE is on 4.4-1, and have tried numerous re-installations and configurations. The one that finally got it working is as follows.

Processors: 8 (2 Sockets, 4 cores) [Host]
Display: Standard VGA
Hard Disk: SATA
Memory: 4GB fixed.

This was very much on trial and error basis, so I don't really know which is the 'key' to get it working. If I were to venture I guess, I will say its the processor config, which was previously set to KVM64 and didn't boot successfully.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!